• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

License Requirements for 5-ton Dump

csvendsen

I figured this was the best place as any to post this question. I know I can get a deuce and not have to worry about getting a CDL to drive it but I also really need/want a dump truck and don't have the time to convert the deuce to a dump so was thinking about getting a 5ton dump. Currently there are a few coming up on GL for auction and was thinking about bidding but if need a CDL that will put that plan on hold. I live in Virginia if that helps. Thanks all. I am a newbie to heavy trucks so I am sure there will be MANY more questions coming from me in the future.

namedpipes

You might find getting a CDL is easier than you think. In MA I can "upgrade" to a CDL with a written test and a fee. I would only need a road test for the endorsements like air brakes. (if your truck has conventional air brakes you'll need to test for that somehow)

I doubt a company would hire a driver that didn't go through the full training routine but to legally drive your own equipment...

Ruppster

Member of questionable origins
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My wife was stationed in Virginia from 2002 to 2006 and while we were there I researched VA CDL requirements for a private use semi truck and trailer. What I found out was at the time VA state law said to reference federal guidelines for the rules. But this was several years ago. You might want to check with the commercial law enforcement people in the state to make sure that hasn't changed.

On another note how do you plan on using the dump truck? Will you be driving it out of state or will it stay in Virginia all the time? Going to a 5 ton can lead to several other issues. Do you need the extra weight capacity a 5 ton has over a deuce and a half dump? If not you might be better off buying a dump truck version of the deuce from a private seller (I think there's one in the classified section). It might cost you a few extra bucks now but the money you will save for parts, insurance, and registration in the long term will more then make up for the difference.

Ruppster

csvendsen

Thanks for the input. The truck will most likely be only used in VA around house and nearby towns nothing major. I don't need the extra load capacity of the 5ton it just seems a lot easier to find a dump in a 5 ton as opposed to the deuce. I would rather have a deuce with a dump already done it is just rare to find. I may just have to keep my eyes open and see what turns up. I will have to look into VA laws for the CDL requirements and have to give this some thought.

jwaller

sounds like you will be using this for more than your own personal use. if that is true then yes you will need and should get a cdl, medical card, fuel tax decal, commercial plates, and commercial insurance. the insurance will prob cost about $3500 a year if you do it legally.

csvendsen

If 5 ton is going to cost that much more to insure properly and have to deal with fuel tax, commercial plates, and the rest of the lot I think I will stay out of the 5ton area and just focus on the deuce.

TexAndy

Your state might have a noncommercial farm use CDL. I know Texas does. Delaware, too.

I think those get you past the 26000 gvw limit. But you are theoretically limited on how you can use it, where you can go with it, depending on your State's laws.

roscoe

In my opinion, your best to keep it in the weight range you will need. It does get expensive pretty quick when you go up in weight. A CDL is not that hard or expensive to get - just study the manual and take a few tests. The driving test isn't too bad if you pay extra for a pre-run and practice some.

jwaller

the CDL is the easiest part of owning/operating a large truck.
insurance
fuel tax
health card
commercial plates
MCC and ICC numbers and all the inspections and BS that go with it.

I'd say less than 5% of the ppl on this board own and operate a 5 ton legally in the commercial world. Some just try to be a little more legal than others.

Dealing with dot inspectors that know what a 5ton brake system is and how it works is even harder.

TexAndy

the CDL is the easiest part of owning/operating a large truck.
insurance
fuel tax
health card
commercial plates
MCC and ICC numbers and all the inspections and BS that go with it.

I'd say less than 5% of the ppl on this board own and operate a 5 ton legally in the commercial world. Some just try to be a little more legal than others.

Dealing with dot inspectors that know what a 5ton brake system is and how it works is even harder.

Judging by what some people in the propane business and other truck-related businesses, it sounds like no one is 100% legal when it comes to DOT rules.

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your state might have a noncommercial farm use CDL. I know Texas does. Delaware, too.
That was one thing that was interesting with Virginia. If you were not for hire (i.e. not in commerce) you could drive anything, regardless of weight. But if you helped pull a friend out of a ditch as soon as that friend gave you a buck for fuel you were commercial. As long as you don't accept any money for driving what you have Virginia lets you do it on a regular license. This is what the federal guidelines allow. Its just that not many other states allow it. Virginia does have a CDL exemption for farm use (which is also from the federal guidelines) but you are restricted on distance and I don't think you can cross the state line. If you don't have a farm and get farm plates that can lead to a rash of problems if you get caught.

If 5 ton is going to cost that much more to insure properly and have to deal with fuel tax, commercial plates, and the rest of the lot I think I will stay out of the 5ton area and just focus on the deuce.
You will still have some of those issues wether you have a deuce and a half or a 5 ton. This is due to two reasons; 1.) tandem axles and 2.) a weight over 10,000 pounds.

Item 1.) This is why I asked about where you will be using it. If you never ever ever plan on taking it out of state then tandem axles will mean nothing. It's only when you cross the border in to another state. This is when IFTA and IRP kick in, regardless of weight and not-for-profit use. All because of tandem axles.

Item 2.) Anything over 10,000 pounds gets in to commercial registration. And you don't pay based on the vehicle's actual empty weight, you pay based on total weight (i.e. truck weight plus load weight) that you want to haul (this can be less or more then GVWR, you tell DMV the amount you want). This is called a registration weight or weighted tag. If you get stopped at a scale with a load and your total weight is higher then the registered weight on the tag then get ready to pay some hefty fines. Since a deuce and a half is lighter then a 5 ton you can save some money by being able to pay for a lower weight rating with a deuce and a half dump truck. The one thing I don't know is if Virginia has two rates for weighted tags, one for private and one for commercial use. When I got Virginia tags for my semi truck and trailer I told them I wanted 40,000 pounds on the registration and that I was private (not for hire). I don't know if they would have been more if I was for hire.

The biggest item is how will you use it, not for hire or for profit every now and then? If you plan on doing the occasional odd job for profit then the whole operation is treated as commercial and a CDL will be a must (along with a med card) if you go with a 5 ton, even if you don't exceed 26,000 pounds total weight as all they care about is GVWR. If you don't plan on using it for any profit at all then a 5 ton won't be too much of a problem versus a deuce and a half, especially if the truck never leaves the state. You will just have to pay a little extra insurance and registration.

If you will be not-for-hire you might be able to get a low cost antigue plate. Virginia does not have a weight restriction on antigue plates and they allow a little more freedom of use then most states. I don't know if you are allowed to haul any loads or not so you would have to check if there is any limits on that.

What doesn't help is that many people try to comply with the laws but get nothing but a run-around and give up on trying to follow them. While I don't have a 5 ton I do have an antique semi truck. I like to use it for more then what antique plates allow so I get weighted tags. And it isn't cheap either. When I looked in to Florida tags I found out anything over 5,000 pounds (empty weight) is charged for commercial tags, even if it is not for hire. To add insult to injury when I went to transfer my Progressive commercial insurance policy from Alaska to Florida I was told I couldn't do it because Florida requires commecial policies to only be issued to businesses. No business, no commercial insurance. But because the truck is over 10,000 pounds I can't get regular insurance. Florida says I have to pay for commercial registration even if I'm not for hire yet they have a law that won't let me get commercial insurance because I don't have a business. WTF is wrong with this picture? I'm trying to do more then what is required but all I get is a run-around. I contacted Gulfway and they sent me the paperwork for their antique coverage. I told them I wanted insurance that would allow me more freedom in the truck's use and asked for info on such a policy. That was last week and I have yet to hear back from them. At this point I'm about to put a larger sleeper on the truck and convert it in to a Toterhome so I can get RV insurance.

Ruppster

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One idea that came to mind this morning was how to solve the issue about tandem axles if you want to be able to cross state lines as you please. A single rear axle from a 5 ton has about the same load capacity as both rear axles combined on a deuce and a half. So if you really want to use a military truck but don't want the hassles involved with having tandem axles you could convert a deuce and a half truck to a single rear axle and use one front and one rear 5 ton axle. You will also need to use a transfer case from a 5 ton in order to do it. This way you will have a truck that is under CDL requirements and you will be able to drive out of state all you want without worrying about IFTA and IRP.

Ruppster

jwaller

you will have a truck tha to a single rear axle and use one front and one rear 5 ton axle.
Ruppster

while all this is a good idea, it doesn't get the data plate changed and you are building a custom one off truck. it would never be dot legal and the DOT goes by what is on the data plate. it's the same as all these bob trucks. the data plate still says it's a tandem axle deuce.

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Boy, that qoute of me came out wrong. Can't make out what it was I said in my last post. :-D

Anyhow, if he is not running commercial he will not need annual DOT inspections. If he did run commercially he could get an inspection to re-rate the truck. This is done a lot when converting antigue semi trucks from tandem to single rear axles to get away from IFTA and IRP requirements when driving out of state. The main point of suggesting the single 5 ton axle on the rear of a deuce and a half was to remove the automatic requirement for IFTA and IRP outside of his home state. Even if he did not change the data plate what the scale official is going to go after is the overall GVWR of the truck, not the fact it had tandems. Since the GVWR of a deuce and a half is under 26,001 pounds he will still be under CDL requirements. You are correct that changing to a single rear axle won't effect what the data plate says but since the scale officials care more about the overall weight rating of the truck more then they do about changing it from tandem to single then I don't see it being a problem. Now if you did this with a 5 ton to de-rate it then you would be correct that it would mean nothing due to the data plate unless you had it re-inspected to de-rate it.

Ruppster

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks