• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Licensing a bobbed A3 in WI

TedN

Does anyone have any current experience or information on titling/registering/licensing a bobbed M35A3 in Wisconsin? I've combed the archives and most of the posts are from a time before a judge handed WI DMV their butts on a platter following the infamous Pinzgauer debacle a few years back (I got screwed by on that too, but that's another story).

The vehicle I'm looking at is already bobbed and has a valid out-of-state title, which should grease the skids a bit, but almost every available WI plate has some obstacle. Historic Military Vehicle plates allow mods to the drivetrain, but body mods that vary from OEM are disqualifiers, so bobbing the truck kills that idea. Similarly, collector plates allow some body modifications/replacements, but they have to mirror as-delivered appearance (there are some military exceptions, like DUKWs and M715s, but nothing for a deuce). I understand that regular heavy truck plates require the truck to have a US DOT commercial safety sticker which A3s don't have.

I'm thinking a Hobbyist plate might work, but I'm not sure (I did see one bobbed deuce here licensed that way a few years back). Does anyone have any firsthand experience or knowledge? I'm thinking that if push comes to shove and I can cite the precedent of a previously-licensed bobbed truck I've got a pretty good shot cutting through the bureaucracy.

Any info is appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe your states cab and chassis rules could apply to how you register it.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In many states you can register heavy trucks as commercial, but for non-commercial use. That is how mine is registered in Georgia. Some states also allow heavy trucks to be registered as farm trucks with some restrictions, again classified for non-commercial use farm use. Also, a lot of heavy trucks have the bodies modified for special use, such as drilling rigs, fertilizer spreaders, etc. You might want to talk to an owner of a heavy truck modified in such a way and find out what procedure they followed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks