• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lift gate on a deuce?

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Do any of y'all know what it would take to put a hydraulic lift gate on a deuce (such as my M35A2C)? I've never used or installed a lift gate before, so I don't know how they generally attach to the truck's frame, whether any random lift gate I might find would be easy to adapt to the deuce's frame, etc.

Thanks in advance for any edutainment!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If you see Maccus in the chatbox, pop in and ask him. I believe he is familiar with them.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The military installed a liftgate on certain variations of the expansible van - you might take a look at the appropriate TM for guidance.

Regards,
David Doyle

Towman2277

If you do take the liftgate route, be sure to get one that was on a larger truck comparison to the heighth of your truck, as the one-ton lift gates wouldn't reach the ground on a duece!!

Reactions: AMX

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have operated several vehicles equipped with lift gates, both straight trucks and trailers.
You would probably have to have a long bed deuce (I think they made a version that hauled rockets) due to the fact that the gate needs room to fold up under the bed of the truck ( that's how it worked with the truck I drove).
There also needs to be room for the electric motor and hydraulic tank.
You also have to have a big electric cable running straight to the batteries.
Anything is possible with money and tools.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Ah, I hadn't considered the stowage space under the rear of the bed. I wonder if the long bed would be necessary if the lift gate stowed vertically behind the bed, rather than folding up under the bed. Maybe I just made it up, but I'm under the impression that some of the lift gates used on expansible vans stow that way.

Jetnoise400

Well, I have seen more than a few bobtail cargo trucks (civi) around here equipped with lift gates that fold straight up against the back of the truck. They raise to the up position, then with a release of a locking mechanism, they hinge up to the vertical for stowage. Maybe something like that might work?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe I saw a shop van with one like that in a TM. Sweet for loading a small ATV etc, of if you are just too lazy to climb in or out..

Elwenil

It's not so much the gate itself that folds under the truck, as most do fold flat against the back, but all I have seen have quite a bit of hydraulics and rams that tuck under the back and take up a lot of room.

Rattlehead

Watch out for the types that store vertically behind the truck, as some of them have a lot that hangs down below the frame. Awhile back I had a line on a big one from a medium duty truck. After investigating it, installing this thing would have cut my departure angle in half. If that is not important, depending on how you use the truck, then go for it!

dc3coyote

Well, any more info on these.
I just won one from GL last night. The lift gate folds vertically at the tailgate. Any info would be nice, what was it for? I will post some pics tonight.
This brings the number of Dueces to 4

Green_gator

dc3coyote,
Did you win one of the two out of Tampa? If so, send me a PM and I can put you in touch with one of the guys from the Air National Guard Unit that those belonged to before retirement.

dc3coyote

Walter,
it was one of the Tampa ones, hopefully the liftgate works nice, cause I am getting tired of busting my back lifting stuff into the trucks.

citizensoldier

Hey dc3coyote I was eyeballing those trucks. Did you get the good one with the hard top? Good score and I am glad someone in our group got one. I believe that is a Airforce specific truck. Now you will have a drop side, with the lift gate and I think they have the brake upgrades too..

dc3coyote

Lane,
I got the one with the softtop, It looked to be in better shape. Thankfully I work just down the street from where they are at.
I will try and get out there next week to get better pics. This should be a good pick up since it is less than a hour by Duece.

citizensoldier

Ok maybe it was a soft top.. I just remember one without a top and it had been picked over. The air filter was in the back and lots of stuff missing including a top.. Take some pictures for us when you get it home. I see they lowered the tail lights so things would clear . Should be a unique truck to own..

dc3coyote

I started bidding on the one that was picked over, it had a spare engine block in the back I think, or maybe it was a land anchor.
I got the one that was in 1 piece, even better it has a heater. We need those in cantral Fl.

robert c neth

Banned
i bought an m211 with a lift gate on it .the gate folded up like a tailgate and the hydraulics were battery operated.didnt take up much space and worked pretty good .