• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lift Help Please

Pikesrider

I've just installed my lift and I have one big problem. The front passenger's side is 1.75" higher than the driver's side. I called ProComp the manufacturer of the Leaf Springs and verifyed the part #'s were correct and that I installed them correctly (military wrap/fat end forward they tell me plus the part # is on the front of the spring, which it is) they then informed me that the Lot#/Batch# are different and therefore batch #'s have different spring rates, which would cause my lean. They told me to go back to the retailer and get a matching Lot #'s.

I drove the truck down to 4WheelParts where I purchased the lift and they told me I installed my Springs backward (that the military wrap needs be in the rear). The Shop foreman swears on it (says he owns an 89 Blazer) and that is most likely the reason I have the lean.

Who do I believe, who is right here?

I'll post up some pics when my truck is straight.

Brendan

Midnight Rider

Well I would think that if you installed them both backwards, then when you reverse them, per the shop foreman's instructions, the difference will still be there. Perhaps it will be on the other side though.

I think I would go with what the manufacturer said.

Pikesrider

Yeah, exactly. If I spend another 5 hours crawling around on my garage floor switching them and it still has the lean...well I'd like to avoid that frustration if possible.

Pikesrider

The other thing that makes me think the shop is dead wrong is that the eye bolts are different sizes for the front. There fore the rubber bushing would need to be switched too (i guess it is possible someone put the bushings in wrong at the factory) .

And if you look at the original springs if I remember correctly the wrap is in the front. Not even sure if you could get the wrap in the back because it wouldn't clear the frame where it mounts to the rear shackle.

I'm just a humble backyard mechanic (hardly even that) so I want to take the advice of a guy that works on trucks for a living, but my gut is telling something else. Hopefully someone can help clear the air for me.

Pikesrider

Part #11411. No instructions on their website that I could find. I used Superlifts instructions as I was using their parts kit. Here are some pictures.

front spring.jpgback of spring.jpg

scrambled

Your lift looks right. The 11411 springs have a 1.5" eyelet on the front and a 1.12" eyelet on the rear.

Different spring batches all have the same spring rate. You should be able to mix any of the same part number springs as long as they come from the same spring producer.

Drive it around the yard a bit and then do a loaded arch measurement. take a string from eyebolt to eyebolt. Then measure fron the top of the spring, where the pin is, to the string. This will probably help the tech guys if they know anything. Most suspension companies have a loaded arch measurement that they use for telling when a spring has sagged and should be a warranty replacement.

Westech

CPL
there has never been a lift that I have installed that comes out all the same. Like wht was stated above drive it and see what happenes. Springs will settel over a couple weeks and they should equal out more.

dstang97

99.9% positive you have them correct If it as a 1 inch I would say that it is normal, but 1.75 is a lot. Bring it back and tell them to fix it.

Pikesrider

Thanks for the confirmation. The guys at ProComp said many times if they have different batch#'s on them they came from different factories so that could be an explanation why the spring rate is different even though it has the same part #.

dstang97

On second thought Drive it around like westy said. They will sag in a month or so. The good thing is they put it on the passangers side with those heavy oem batteries

Here is the way I lifted mine, and if you can get your money back and wait to buy a rear spring kit, those 56" rear springs that are now on the back of your truck will install the same as the 52" ones (out of the rear of a M1009 blazer) I just put on my truck. The longer the front spring, the better your suspension travel and ride comfort over rough terrain.
You can get this kit for $200 for the front, a rear shackle flip for the rear for $220 at virginia4x4.com, then install rear 56" springs from superlift or procomp to make up whatever lift you might need in the back.
One other piece you would need is the 7.25" shackles for the rear of the front springs in order to clear your frame properly. They are available at DIY4x.com for $30 for both sides. This would give you a much better ride and more durability than the kit you are using now for probably a little less money when all is said and done.
If you can get your hands on some 52" springs out of the back of an old K20 or K5 in a junk yard, they will work for a solid 4" lift when you buy 6" shackles. Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there. I wished I had known these combos many moons ago.

Attachments

joeypushjr1

well you bought it from 4wheel parts right . the one by me in ohio has a thing to where theyll make it right if its wrong. take it to them and see if they will fix and or asses whats wrong and maybe you wont have to take it off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks