• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lift Kit

Rebelpride

After a long deafening ride Sat. I got my M1008A1 home, and I've already decided that I need bigger tires. Since I am new to the whole lifting/bigger tires club, I need some help. I've searched online at 4wheelonline.com, JC Whitney, ORD, and the forums on here, and my mind is boggled. I am looking for a good lift kit that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and a good place to find tires, heck I'll settle for good used ones. I want to be able to do 60-70max.

What size tires and lift combo should I use?

AJMBLAZER

Again, www.ColoradoK5.com could answer just about any question you have about modifying one of these era GM trucks.

There's also www.CarolinaK5.com which is mostly guys with these type of trucks.

Tuff Country and BDS are the big names on those forums for good riding and flexing lifts. They aren't the cheapest but that's because they're quality stuff, not just springs that make your truck taller.

You want at least a true 36" tall tire. I had some of the HMMWV tires on mine and they were actually around 34-35" tall and it just wasn't enough. Now with my 37" or so tall tires it's actually decent to drive and can hold 65-70 without to much trouble. You get better mpg around 60-65 though.

For the record you can get a 35" tire or so on with no lift and just some trimming and a narrow 36-38" tire with some cutting and trimming.

gocmndo

You need to call Stephen at Off Road Design. He is familiar with our trucks and what will work and what will not work.
I am running 37" tall tires with a Tuff Country 4" lift and could not be happier with the ride and especially the freeway ride. You can now talk in the cab and can hear the radio!!
I will need to trim the fenders for better off road articulation.
Best of luck!

Bozor1000

Call Stephen Watson-That dude is the guru when it comes to these 73-87 trucks. He has a lot of different options for our trucks. Offroad Design is the choice I am going with when I have the money to lift my truck.

Croatan_Kid

I used ORD to buy my lift stuff, crossover, rear u-bolt flip, and some other stuff. Can't beat em!

I'm running 39s and 4" of lift with a little fender trimming, 4.56's and a 700R4. Works great.

ryan1981

I just put a 6" rough country from NTWonline, and it was great, new springs in front, 6" blocks in rear, new shocks,dana 60 ubolt kit, dana 60 steering block, extended stainless brakelines, front and rear, delivered for 670.00. I will get pics up tomorrow

Croatan_Kid

You might wanna ask CCATLETT1984 what happens to Dana 60 steering blocks.....

Crossover all the way! I love mine, also got it from ORD. Got my front locker from Performance Off Road Center dot com. No new brake lines yet.

Rebelpride

How does ORD's rear shackle flip affect the load carrying ability of these trucks, can you still haul and tow the same weights? Is any body running there flip kit and how hard is it to install?

AJMBLAZER

It doesn't affect the springs in any way so you're not changing the hauling or towing capabilities at all.

Some folks claim it changes the handling characteristics while towing but there's a bunch of guys over on www.ColoradoK5.com who tow with their trucks and have the shackle flips and they all say it's fine. In fact the "problem" seems to be a theoretical one.

With a good grinder and drill you can have the rivets off fairly quickly. However on a K5/M1009 you have to drop the gas tank or at least swing it out of the way some to access the inside of the frame.

Rebelpride

Can you put the EZ Ride springs on the truck or do they have to be the HD ones?
And all that I see advertised is the 1/2 & 3/4 ton kits, but the M1008 is a 1+tons truck correct?

gocmndo

With a lift to these trucks the cross over steering is a great addition. The steering when the truck is articulated is much better then the stock configuration.

Something that has not been mentioned is the steering brace from ORD. If you run larger tires or just have a lot of miles on your truck take a look at your frame. The steering box can actually tear away from the frame. Cheap insurance in my view.

I talked with Stephen at ORD about the rear axle flip kit and was going to run with that but the stock rear spring is VERY heavy and built for big loads. I am not using my truck so much for hauling heavy loads but more for off road fun. The Tuff Country springs articulate better and I can actually lift one spring by my self.

ORD also sells front shock relocation mounts that let you use longer shocks which work out great. Believe it or not one of the best additions from ORD was the extended brake lines. These really firmed up my brake pedal.

Could not say enough good things about ORD.

Croatan_Kid

I found an ORD box brace at work after a guy came in to have his frame welded up....apparently he forgot it, then my buddy bought his truck and I found the piece that goes on the back of it! FREE!!!! :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks