• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lift Pump swap. Please Help!

JesseJaymes

I was in the middle of changing the lift pump on my 1008 as it was suggested as a possible problem from a previous post.

It's been a bit more of a PITA than expected due to a stripped brass fitting which resultled in the entire fuel line removal.

Now to the problem. I cannot get a new pump back on. After trying for some time, I checked the new pump vs old. They were slightly off. So off to parts store for new one.

In speaking with the counterman, we discussed the rod inside the block. I had printed a How To from here or ColoradoK5 on lift pump install. It stated to grease the rod to hold it up in order to install the new pump.

Well, I can feel a straight rod inside the hole in the block. But there is absolutely no wiggle or give. It is wedged against the front of the casting. I have been told by a few that this should be loose and somewhat free to move.

Thinking it may be on a cam lobe, I attached a 15/16 socket to the lowest pulley, beneath the water pump, and attempted to crank the engine over a bit. I have probably turned it a full rotation. The "rod" never moved and is frozen in the same spot.

Can someone diagnose what is wrong and/or what can be done ?

I am sorry for the vagueness or juvenile questions, but I have never seen a 6.2L engine out of the compartment or had one apart to understand exactly how everything works together.

Maybe there is an easy fix, but it's beyond me. Essentially, this "rod" is wedged into the the side of the opening. If it's supposed to be free or loose, it is not.

If this is broken or incorrect, is there a solution. This truck ran, and ran OK before I tore about 1/2 of it apart chasing a Loss of Prime problem. Others were guessing that the IP was doing all of the fuel suction/transport, hence the lift pump swap.

Ideas?

CCATLETT1984

hehe, i had that happen to me, you will see some bolts holding a plate that the lift pump was bolted to, remove that plate and you will be able to push the rod back up. there is very little clearance, and once the rod bottoms out like that, the only way is the above mentioned procedure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks