• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lift!

PeeWeeQ

SOOOO,

Let's say I wanted to put a 4" suspension lift in my M1009. A few years back, I replaced the front and rear ends with a front and rear end from a 1990, 3/4 ton(SF) Suburban. Do I need a lift that fits a '90 Suburban or a lift for an '85 Blazer?

This may be an obvious answer to some, but, I've been in my first semester of nursing school and "braining" isn't my strong point right now. Any input is of course appreciated ahead of time...

Thanks!

PeeWeeQ

I'll probably wait that long anyway. It's still "wintery" here and I have to do it in my driveway. AND, I'll be done with school for the summer....I'm just checking into it now.

rodent

Yep get a lift for the M1009. I went with 4" Tuff Country EZ ride springs front since they have the lowest spring rate for a softer ride along with 1" zero rates. Shackle flip in the back.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you did your axle swap, did you have to swap rear spring plates? I'm no expert on the SF rear but the DIA of the FF requires the ubolts to be bent on a larger radius die thus requiring wider spring plates. If this applies to the SF then blazer ubolts from the lift won't work.

LT67

A factory type 4 leaf set with the slight negative arch will give around 3.5in of lift.... it will also ride better than any aftermarket lifted spring. The spring shop did the same factory 4 leaf set up on my M1008 and the 79K20. Both of them ride great....

1517699482537.jpg14305.jpeg

PeeWeeQ

When you did your axle swap, did you have to swap rear spring plates? I'm no expert on the SF rear but the DIA of the FF requires the ubolts to be bent on a larger radius die thus requiring wider spring plates. If this applies to the SF then blazer ubolts from the lift won't work.
I didn't switch spring plates, no. I'm also wondering if I'm going to need to extend the rear brake lines...???

EDIT: Actually, I believe I did switch spring plates. I remember having to go to the junkyard for them because the axles didn't come with them...Only for the rear, though...

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't switch spring plates, no. I'm also wondering if I'm going to need to extend the rear brake lines...???

EDIT: Actually, I believe I did switch spring plates. I remember having to go to the junkyard for them because the axles didn't come with them...Only for the rear, though...
Yeah, the rears are the ones that need switched. I reread your axle swap thread.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm doing the U-bolt reversal today...hope I ordered the right kit, based on the diameter of the axle housing. I kinda wish I did this the last time I had the springs out: the previous owner did not realize that the aftermarket rear spring packs weren't centered so one was mounted backwards. I didn't realize it until someone driving behind me commented how badly the Blazer was "dog-legged". I only sensed something odd the one time I tried to tow something.....it did not work out well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks