• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lifted Deuce NO NO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

midevilduece

again you are talking about trucks that are engineered to be used with lift blocks, not ones that are altered. As for it "not taking a lot of test data" I believe that you are dead wrong on that Sir, I guarantee you that they are tested and engineered to rediculous lengths, so that they can provide prrof that they are safe. I don't understand how you can argue that trucks that are not engineered to have lift blocks are as safe as those that are..As another person said above do you think the D.O.T would have no problem with these bodged together blocks?

quickfarms

Lift blocks on the front axle are not necessarily bad if they are done correctly. On the big trucks I have seen many that were added after the truck left the factory by the shop that completed the truck. Most non OTR class 7 and 8 trucks leave the factory as incomplete manufacture and are sent to a body builder for there completion. It is at this point that a lot get front blocks to adjust the ride height or to maintain clearance.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Due to wear patterns on radial tires rotating them actually hurts tire life. It made sense with bias plys but now it's just useless.
I've never heard this. All my Sixties Mopars (Road Runner, GTX, etc.) that had factory equipped bias plies had tire rotation charts in the owners and service manuals.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
had tire rotation charts in the owners and service manuals.
as do modern cars and pickup trucks.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
as do modern cars and pickup trucks.
Re-reading it, I now realize my error. It's early.

Your point is what in my head I was trying to communicate.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Due to wear patterns on radial tires rotating them actually hurts tire life. It made sense with bias plys but now it's just useless.
Them why do manufacturers recommend rotating them at regular sevice intervals ?
If you don't rotate them on a 4 wheel drive the front tires will cup out so bad they will be scrap in less than about 10,000 miles.

I'm guessing you didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night .

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It doesn't take a lot of test data to mold a cast iron block and drill 4 holes in it. If it wasn't safe the dot wouldn't keep approving them for over the road use.
BECAUSE with the engineering come destructive testing, the lift blocks ARE NOT just a chunk of metal with 4 holes in it, the axle plates and spring plates as well as the U-BOLTS are designed for the lift, the DOT approves this factory install BECAUSE they have ALL the data to back up the ROAD WORTHINES of the install, THIS is not something like bobbing that would NEVER pass a DOT cert., that changes the total design of the vehicle that includes steering, weight transfer, suspension (including lift), braking, ect.

Last edited:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So much for the shear strength in those U-bolts...I wouldn't drive it.

I might do some crazy modifications, but I'd NEVER do something like that. I'd much rather either: A) Have new U-bolts made that fit fully from the top of the leaf spring to the bottom of the axle; or B). Fabricate drop brackets for the leaf springs (and that bolted to the frame, I don't weld to frames as a personal rule).

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My dodge truck (with lockers) will wear out rear tires at a rate of about 2:1 compared to the front if not rotated.

I guess maybe you could just replace the rears twice for every set of fronts you replace and end up using the same amount of tires over the life of the truck but I'd rather keep the tires close to the same wear front to back.

Ford Mechanic

?????? I gotta call BS on that one. Rotations are necessary to keep the wear corrected, reduces noise, and tire induced pulls. And Xing the tires are a common enough practice just one example the rear axle isn't reducing the amount of chop on the tires Escapes were horibble for this at one time until the alignment specs were altered. Also very common for correcting a tire induced pull after a alignment. I've never seen a tire come apart due to changing the rotation of it. Dude this is right in my wheel house, I'm a Ford Powertrain Master (gas engine), and ASE Master tech. I do all the front end work at this shop(along with other stuff) and have 10 yrs experiance with Ford.

As far as the trucks that come stock with blocks in the front, typically the springs and other hardware are stiff enough also to prevent any sort of axle wrapping under. Adding those blocks really gives added leverage on the springs.

Carlo

[QUOTEIf it's such a "bad idea" how come multiple heavy truck companies are selling trucks with lift blocks up front? I think this is one of those things like the rotating tires myth it may have been true a long time ago but not anymore.]
My guess is that factory lift blocks were designed by ENGINEERS using test data, known specs and the right kind of metal. Once the design is done and it's all put together they whole package is reviewed by LAWYERS to determine what kind of LIABILITY could be incurred if there was a CATASTROPHIC FAILURE of any of the parts.
People who take shortcuts like that are setting themselves up for failure and lawsuits. I wouldn't drive that thing across the road.[/QUOTE]

Very well said! BRAVO

Status
Not open for further replies.