• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lifter replacement

epitts

We have checked every thing over the past few months. And the only thing left is to replace the lifters on the drivers side bank. So how do you replace the lifters without pulling the head? I have read that it can be done but not how to do it.

Thanks for any help

Barrman

TM 9-2815-237-34 is the manual for the engine. It only mentions lifters with the engine already broken down into sub assemblies. Have you looked at the regular -34 manual?

epitts

lifter removel

TM 9-2815-237-34 is the manual for the engine. It only mentions lifters with the engine already broken down into sub assemblies. Have you looked at the regular -34 manual?
Yes, the 9-2320-289-34 page 3-28 talks about using a fingered tool or a magnet to remove the lifters. After head removel. Was wondering who had done it without removing the head and how hard had it been. I was a little off in my first post.

Thanks

Last edited:

Keith_J

IIRC, there isn't a window for tappet removal like for most pushrod engines. I've seen this engine with the valley cover removed, it is solid cast iron.

ralbelt

I have replaced both my 6.2 heads , I just went out and checked one of my take outs and there is no way that all the lifters will pull out. Pulling the heads is not a bad job. Hardest part is pulling the injector lines.

wayne pick

As per a thread posted at - The Diesel Page.com intitled- Removing lifters with heads on. It states that it can be done using a magnet but it is very dificult. That being said, it almost sounds like removing the head is easier than trying to fish out the lifters. That's the post I read from people that know the 6.2 inside out. Don't kill the messenger.

epitts

Wayne I followed your lead per the PM and found this on the dieselpage

"
The lifter takes up the slack in the pushrod to rocker clearance using engine oil as a hydraulic fluid. A worn or damaged lifter collapses and eventually won't lift the pushrod enough to actually work the valve - there will be a misfire as well as noise associated with this.

First make sure the knock/clack is at half engine speed.

If it is, then use a screwdriver to pinpoint which head/cylinder it's coming from. If you're going to replace all of the lifters at the same time, you don't need to worry too much.

It's possible to remove the lifters without taking the head off. You'll need a great deal of patience, a mirror, magnetic pickups, long screwdriver etc.

With the rocker covers, rocker assemblies and pushrods removed, unbolt the lifter retainer plates and use the mag pickup to pull them out of the tappet chests.

Now use the mag pickup through the pushrod holes and main tappet chest slots to pull the lifters out.

Replacement is more tricky using the mag pick up/screwdriver combo, since not only will you have to maneuver the lifter into the lifter hole, but you will also need to align them so that the retainer plate fits properly. It's possible to bolt the retainer plate over misaligned lifters and destroy them within a few miles.

It's definitely doable without taking the heads off and I've done it twice now using this method - just don't rush it :D ."

Thanks

wayne pick

I know you are trying to keep your repair as simple as possible, I would too as I im lazy,LOL. If you remove both heads, replace all the lifters and have the heads redone, you will have no worries for a long time, just sayin. Good luck and post how difficult it is to perform, im sure there would be interest in it.:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks