• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lifting a Bobbed Deuce

Ridgerunner

What are your feelings about stock brakes now that you've driven the beast?
It stops fine, with the 53's. No complaints with the way that it stops, other that the single cylinder, master cylinder. Every Deuce owner has that complaint though:( I do have all new brakes on the truck, so one with worn brakes, and that are also out of adjustment, would be a different story. But that would apply to any vehicle I suppose.

USArmyMedic07

Hey everybody. I got my front suspension done and have put about 200 miles on the truck with the 53's on it. With about 4" of lift and very minor fender trimming, I have not rubbed a tire yet.

I put a video up on youtube of me testing out the strength of an old Lincoln Towncar that we stole, stripped, and then crushed to get rid of the evidence. The deuce did great but it needs shocks to help it stay planted under torque.

Most recent mods were the Yukon Grizzly locker, I installed in the rear diff by myself, and the XRC12 winch on the front. The locker helped a lot and the truck is a beast off road. The frames sure do flex on these things.

Here's the video link: YouTube - usarmymedic07's Channel

USArmyMedic07

Awwww.....come on guys.....you know I wouldn't hand you a case that easily....lol.

We had the old car laying around in the back 40. It was cannabilized long ago and was really just a shell, but it sure was a fun time.

I just figured once I put a video of somebody actually having fun in an old MV, that I'd get lots of flack for "ruining a piece of history" and making the rest of the community look bad.....blah blah blah. Everybody loves the truck and I have the only one in town. Nothing is more fun that breaking the heart of some poor sap in his sixty thousand dollar F350 when he can't get his toy hauler out of the sand.

God bless the deuce.

ApopkaFL

Banned
I want to see some close ups how your steering is completed on the truck. I saw few pages back where you built it. I would like to see it all together if thats posible for you to get some photos.

Ridgerunner

I want to see some close ups how your steering is completed on the truck. I saw few pages back where you built it. I would like to see it all together if thats posible for you to get some photos.
The truck is put away in one of the buildings, in storage with the other vehicles, waiting for winter to get over. (you Florida guys don't know how good you got it :roll: ) Next time I'm out in that building, I'll take pictures for you.

ApopkaFL

Banned
Ask, and you shall receive.....
For the steering arm. I made a 5" rise arm, over stock. It's made out of 1" thick A-36 steel. Then the drag link, I use 1/4" thick wall tube, with a 1/4" flat gusset on each side at the welded angle joint. The drag link has a 2 1/2" drop, over stock. I was suprised at how the stock drag link tube was so thin, I don't even think it was made out of 1/8" thick material, right from the factory.

I put about a hundered miles on the truck, so far with the lift on it. And it drive nice and straight, and handles quite well for a truck this size, with the tires that are on it. Sitting still, the tires do not like to turn, but moving just one or two MPH, and it turns easy enough. I still will end up running power steering on it eventually, be it, full hydro, or a power steering box. I do have everything to go full hydro, except a pump and brackets that bolt onto the Multi fuel. The steering setup that's currently on it, will work for now, untill I get to that part of the project.

As for Copy-catting, no problem. As I'm not the first guy to chop-up and modify anything.

will this setup work on a M35A3 duce? Of so I need it for mine. I am decieded I am going to do frame on frame ( wich is 8" .lift for the 53s I plan on putting on the 4 door duce that is being built right now.

Rodman

bigbear83

I notice these trucks have the front spring perches riveted in. Think that's a design flaw too because if that rusts out you'd never know until it was to late. Do a lot of guys run bolts and drill out the rivets? Obviously I won't be doing that since I'm gonna have to call black rock fab and get new front perches for the front lift and do blocks in the back.

Shane 1971 M35A2

Before somebody replies just put 395's on it, without otherwise lifting it...I know they fit, but the tire to fender and bed clearance looks funny, there is rubbing issues, and why not also get 8 inches of lift plus the bigger tires to keep the stance and tire clearances lookin tough like it does with stock 9-20's but with a lot more "attitude".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks