• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lifting and 53's

MrM4

I have my 8 inch lift installed but I still need a steering arm, I though I would ask here rather then starting a new thread, I would like to see what other have done. How did you guys do your steering arm after adding a lift?

offroadexpeditions

53" wheels

I have a friend that put 53"s on his m35a2 with no lift.The tires are close to the front fenders and the bed.He said the front rubbed the exhaust pipe and the rear would rub the bed. I put 53"s on mine also but I lifted mine 8".No rubbing and plenty of room.It could be done with 4" or 6" but the tires would be close. I woould go atleast 6" or 8" with 53" tires. 8"s seams to be the best. Her are some pictures of mine.I hope this helps.
Hi, have you done any off road with your truck? Are axle shafts, diffs, drive shafts, and tranny OK with the weight? Peter

offroadexpeditions

53" tires

Huge pain! (To the tune of a broken arm, and many, too many cuts scrapes and bruises.)

I have not been on here in a while, between work vacation, travels, normal home owners upkeep and lifting a boobed deuce, and modifying hemtt wheels, I have been a little busy.

The tires mounted on modified hemtt wheels and adapter plate weigh in at a staggering 486# each.

I started this lat June, just when it was heating to the low to mid 90's with humidity in the 60-80% for weeks on end. My weather station recorded a heat index above 110* (Topping out at 130* one afternoon) every day that I had a chance to work on the truck. I am not yet finished but have been driving it for the past 2 weeks.
Hi Mike, have you done any off road with your truck? How does the weight affect other things? Have you had any problems with axle shafts, diffs, drive shafts, or tranny? Peter

BAD SMILEY

Dude u guys r insane i bought my first duece for a xmas present with intentions on bobbing it it now sits on a concrete pad and jackstands i have taken the 105 apart and have leaf springs on truck driveshaft will be ready friday i hope if i can find wheels i think i might give this beast a 8" lift

BAD SMILEY

when i say insane i mean these trucks are awsome . i just bolt the 105 leafs to the frame i guess that was for practice because i got to have one on 53" tires . wonder how im gonna inbeasle the money out of the budget

jesusgatos

Here is photo of mine on 53's with 8" lift Ill post a photo of my steering arm.
Not trying to be an *******, but that looks really sketchy. These cut-and-welded steering arms are putting a ton of extra leverage on the knuckle. They were not design to take those kind of loads, and if you do a quick search on pirate4x4, you'll see that knuckle failures are not uncommon among guys running 2.5-ton rockwell axles. Might be just fine if you're only driving around town, you're taking a **** of a risk! Saying this as someone who is intimately familiar with this subject (custom steering & suspension), and only in the interest of safety (yours and everyone else on the road).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks