• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lifting cab

scottmandu

If the cab latch is leaking you probably won't be able to get the cab lifted, as hydraulic fluid will be pumped out of the cab latch. You have to lift the cab manually by crane or forklift or something.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the cab latch is leaking you probably won't be able to get the cab lifted, as hydraulic fluid will be pumped out of the cab latch. You have to lift the cab manually by crane or forklift or something.
If you don't have a crane or a forklift, you could pull the line off the latch and plug the line. Then, use a screwdriver to push the piston pin back to release the latch (or unscrew the piston out the side, if you have to).

murcielago8898

If you don't have a crane or a forklift, you could pull the line off the latch and plug the line. Then, use a screwdriver to push the piston pin back to release the latch (or unscrew the piston out the side, if you have to).
Well I have the exact problem, the truck will not start as it has no fuel pressure so I can't lift the cab. The manual pump does not work either as the seal is blown pouring fluid out over the top of the engine. So I have the same question. Does anybody know how to lift the cab if the lifting ram has failed.

Ronmar

Well I have the exact problem, the truck will not start as it has no fuel pressure so I can't lift the cab. The manual pump does not work either as the seal is blown pouring fluid out over the top of the engine. So I have the same question. Does anybody know how to lift the cab if the lifting ram has failed.
Well it doesnt sound like your lifting ram has failed, it sounds like your latch seal has, so your latch wont release and you cannot build pressure to the ram to lift the cab. Like was mentioned earlier in this thread, disconnect the hose from the cab latch and cap it. I forget where exactly it is “Td“ off of the line to the ram, but a way to seal the line with what you have on the truck is to find that T, disconnect the leg to The latch and connect a line from a different circuit, say the Line to the bottom of the passenger side suspension compression cylinder, To that port on the T where the latch is normally connected. The suspension cylinder lines are also Td to go to the driver and passenger side cylinders. Those Ts are back Down below the air operated pump a foot or so and are fairly easy to get to(Just disconnected one the other day).

once you get the system sealed you need to manually release the cab latch. You can unscrew its piston/cylinder to allow you to manually release the latch mechanism. You will have to unscrew it to replace its seal anyway.

once the latch is released and system sealed, you should then be able to use the manual pump to pump up the cab. You can also pressurize the air system using a compressor by adding air at the front emergency glad-hand Which will fill the system tanks. Chock the wheels as this also releases the parking brake. Once the Air system is pressurized you can use the air operated hydraulic pump to raise/lower the cab...

murcielago8898

Well it doesnt sound like your lifting ram has failed, it sounds like your latch seal has, so your latch wont release and you cannot build pressure to the ram to lift the cab. Like was mentioned earlier in this thread, disconnect the hose from the cab latch and cap it. I forget where exactly it is “Td“ off of the line to the ram, but a way to seal the line with what you have on the truck is to find that T, disconnect the leg to The latch and connect a line from a different circuit, say the Line to the bottom of the passenger side suspension compression cylinder, To that port on the T where the latch is normally connected. The suspension cylinder lines are also Td to go to the driver and passenger side cylinders. Those Ts are back Down below the air operated pump a foot or so and are fairly easy to get to(Just disconnected one the other day).

once you get the system sealed you need to manually release the cab latch. You can unscrew its piston/cylinder to allow you to manually release the latch mechanism. You will have to unscrew it to replace its seal anyway.

once the latch is released and system sealed, you should then be able to use the manual pump to pump up the cab. You can also pressurize the air system using a compressor by adding air at the front emergency glad-hand Which will fill the system tanks. Chock the wheels as this also releases the parking brake. Once the Air system is pressurized you can use the air operated hydraulic pump to raise/lower the cab...
Wow! Thank you very much! Your information was clear and totally helpful. You were right, it twas the latch seal. Following your directions I was able to open the cab. Now I could not figure out the T and Td so I just put part of a plastic bottle in the line fitting and tightened it back up, did the trick and the cab lifted. Now if I could only get it to run, but I suppose that is another thread. I am going to run down the computer ignition wire to make sure I have power. Once again, thank you for taking the time to help me. Perfect answer.

Ronmar

Wow! Thank you very much! Your information was clear and totally helpful. You were right, it twas the latch seal. Following your directions I was able to open the cab. Now I could not figure out the T and Td so I just put part of a plastic bottle in the line fitting and tightened it back up, did the trick and the cab lifted. Now if I could only get it to run, but I suppose that is another thread. I am going to run down the computer ignition wire to make sure I have power. Once again, thank you for taking the time to help me. Perfect answer.
Glad I could help. start a new thread on your no start, be sure to include the year and model truck...