• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lifting safety what are you using

bguy193

Can someone tell me the best place to lift the front end with a bottle jack when placing the truck on jack stands. Are you guys raising at the pumpkin or what?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always just place the jack on the axle. The axle is nice and square on the deuce so it makes for a pretty good jacking point.

bguy193

I always just place the jack on the axle. The axle is nice and square on the deuce so it makes for a pretty good jacking point.
So are you lifting one side at a time???..............jack one side, place cribbing or jack stand then move to the other side ??????

joeM62

If you don't have a forklift or a wrecker you can just use a cherry picker for the t-case or trans,don't use it on picking up the motor bad things will happen. If you want to just change out the outside tires on the back just use a 2X4 or 2 no need for jack.

jpekarek

a 4x4 post across the cab and a chain fall work for trans/ tcase removal & install. I would reccomend a 12-20 ton bottle jack for tire changes, some cribbing, and several 6ton jackstands.
20 Ton bottle jack for tire changes? That's over 2 times the weight of the entire truck.

I use 4 ton standard floor jack on a 2 x 12 for tire changes on my 5 ton, then heavy duty jack stands. When lifting one side of an axle, you are only pushing up about 3300 pounds. That's about the same as the front end of an old Chevy truck.

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

I do not trust any jack stand. Call me paranoid. I use short cut up sections of good thick railroad tie and I have many sections of 2x6" cut up for cribbing here and there. I do not hesitate to work under the deuce when held up with these blocks. Very, very sturdy. I work a lot on uneven ground and am currently working on my deuce on soft clay ground. I use a 10 ton bottle for all my work and a 40" breaker bar with a Budd combo socket for all my tire work. As much as I like air tools, I think it's wise to have a good breaker bar laying around in the event your fancier tools stop working. And as a side note, a 40" breaker bar makes very easy work of breaking some nasty lugs loose.

Unforgiven

Right now my best idea is to get four 3-6 ton jack stands and one or two hi-lift jacks. The hi-lift jacks will lift the required weight up pretty high, as the name implies.

High-lifts are awesome for getting unstuck. But for changing tires they are less than stable. I had a DUAL rear blowout in a Chevy Suburban a while back. All I had was the high lift. Because both tires were flat, I had to jack the entire rear end up from the middle of the rear bumper. To get it up high enough to change tires was brutal. It was on uneven ground (of course, where else would it be?). The truck popped off the jack once. Luckily it didn't crack the brake drums.

For something the size of the Deuce you need something more sturdy than a hi-lift.

Personally, when money allows I'm going to make my own version of an air jack using triple-bladder air suspension parts. It will be more restricted/reinforced than a simple exhaust jack. Seeing DUG stuck to the frame in California mud recently convinced me of this.

I'm also planning on making my own stands that will run the full width of the truck. I'll probably make a pair. 4' I-beam or rectangular tube with perpendicular feet welded on & liftable casters (to allow easy placement of said stands).

You have on-board air. That makes air jacks appealing.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqBQ8q2mxuY[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc7Tni99dlQ&feature=related[/media]

oldMan99

For breaking bolts and nuts, you may want to get a Swench manual impact wrench. It never needs air or electricity, loosens things a torque multiplying wrench won't and is small enough to keep with the truck. (kind of like the first rule of gunfighting-"First- bring a gun!") A 3/4" Swench us about 20" long and will generate 800 pounds of torque. That's more than enough for anything on a deuce. A 1" Swench puts out !,500 pounds of torque. They pop up on Ebay and at MV shows.

Lance
Lance,

I goggled "Swrench" and after telling goggle that I really wanted the "S" in front of wrench all it came up with was items like the one pictured below. I'm pretty sure this is not what your talking about. Do you have any pictures of the tool your talking about?

I like that all in 1 jack-jack stand. Seems ideal for tire changing use. I searched for that item also and found only the 3 ton version. Anybody know if there is a heavier duty version? Something like 6-10 tons would probably be a better fit for the M920.

Attachments

ohsmily

Lance,

I goggled "Swrench" and after telling goggle that I really wanted the "S" in front of wrench all it came up with was items like the one pictured below. I'm pretty sure this is not what your talking about. Do you have any pictures of the tool your talking about?

I like that all in 1 jack-jack stand. Seems ideal for tire changing use. I searched for that item also and found only the 3 ton version. Anybody know if there is a heavier duty version? Something like 6-10 tons would probably be a better fit for the M920.
That is because you typed "swrench". It is "swench" and it will be the first google result you get. Type "swench manual impact wrench" and you get the manufacturer's page as the first result.

oldMan99

That is because you typed "swrench". It is "swench" and it will be the first google result you get. Type "swench manual impact wrench" and you get the manufacturer's page as the first result.
Ahah! Your right! Amazing...lol... Thanks!

That "Swench" is pretty cool. The electric rescue tool that have is not to bad either! I wish we had that when I was riding the truck! Looks to be far faster, easier, lighter than the hydraulic stuff we used. Even the new hydraulic stuff has nothing on this system. (Assuming the capacity ratings are comparable, and I bet they are....(

I want a set just because.. lol. Hey, it's only money.....lol...(Probably lots of it too...)

Welcome to Power Hawk (Company main page)

http://www.powerhawk.com/products_swench.html (Directly to the Swench)

M1key

In regards to removing wheels, I recommend a standard pallet jack. When pulling both duals off its a snap to jack up and wheel them out of the way!

DAP

I have an M37 and a 2.5 ton floor jack does it for everything so far. I blew out my 1 ton bottle jack much earlier

Z71

To remove engines/transmissions, I would recommend a relatively cheap gantry crane you can buy at harborfreight for about $ 600 on sale, plus the cost of trolley and a 2 ton hoist. This crane is way overbuilt for its 2,000 lbs rating, and quite sturdy. 2,000 lb capacity is enough to remove a deuce engine.

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

Try and stay away from Harbor Freight. The Chinese are building their economy and their Military off our need for cheap crap at low prices. Same thing happened in WWII, the Japanese built a very powerful and formidable fighting force off the iron and steel we'd been selling them for years. At least buy something used out of the newspaper, even if it is a chinese made product which is unfortunately extremely hard to get away from these days, your cash will be going into the pocket of the previous owner instead of the Harbor Freight owners and CEO's who condone this crap of American jobs going overseas.

:rant:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks