• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Light Panel

RedOctober

My deuce has a push button light panel instead of the three lever panel i see on everyone else's deuces. Is there any significance to this is one better or newer than the other?

I own trucks with both types. I like the push button, but some here are 3 lever freaks. The only problem that I see with the push button switch, is they are more expensive to replace. The spares that I bought were $75 each.

Jones

The general feeling is that the push button switches had underrated relays and tended to burn up from overloading. No problem if the electrical system is in good shape but any loose connections or bad grounds and the resistance goes up... and so does the load.
They're sensitive to static; the installation sheet tells you to connect the ground wire first, even before mounting the switch in the dash. (That's what the big screw on the back of the switch body is for).
We solved the problems by grounding our mechanics and letting the switch control Bosch type relays that in turn do the actual current control.

A three-lever kept in reserve is a good idea 'cause when the push-button switches go out-- nothing works.

Jimma

Push botton is newer and many people like it because it look high tech. However, the old style is proven and almost bullet proof when it comes to dependable operation. If I bought a truck with one I would use it, but I would not run out tommarow and spend big bucks to buy one. I have plenty of other things to spend my money on first.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The early push buttons had problems, later ones, well grounded, work great. Mine has been in my truck for 8 years.[thumbzup]

3dAngus

The five tech manuals I've browsed through on the M35A3 do not cover operation or maintenance of the push button light panel. They all referred to the old three switch system.

Can anyone recommend some reading material or a tech manual on this, either operation or maintenance. I have one, and am not sure how to turn the lights on. I have a recovery in two weeks and need to make sure I'm well read up, because I pushed every button on the block with engine running and nothing came on. Any help is appreciated.

3dAngus

That was helpful. Thanks.

I guess I better find me one of those older 3 switch systems for backup. And check all the grounds. Don't want to make a recovery in the rain (possible) without lights.

edit: Oh, if anyone has one in good shape, please PM me.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you pushed the buttons and nothing lit up and you are sure the switch has power going to it, it's toast. Pushing any of the buttons will cause the blue LED lights to light up on the face on a working switch.

Frodo, I've got one that's been awfully hot that a may would part with.

3dAngus

Thanks much m16ty. Anything special I have to do to get power to it? ie. is there another switch preceding the light panel? No TM on it, and the info on the website was helpful, but limiting.

Heavysteven

Mine was nice while it lasted, got 6 months out of it. I pulled it out because I feared it would cause a fire.

Repainted my old 3 way and it still working great.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The switch should have power on it all the time (just like the three lever). I'm unsure of which pin is the power wire. I will say to be careful if you go to prodding wires and such. These things are real sensitive to voltage spikes and grounding issues.

The first thing I'd do would be to stick my nose up to the face and the back and take a whiff. If there's a burnt smell there is no need to go any farther.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks