• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Light switch issues

occularpapercut

I'm having issues with my 84 m1009. When I got it , the previous owner installed a radio and had it connected to the light switch. He warned me that sometimes when you hit a bump the radio will cut out. well fast forward a couple of months and now the lights wont work. It started with the expected radio shorting out. Then after time when the radio shorted out the lights would cut off but turn back on along with the radio. now the lights wont turn back on. I think its an issue with the light switch. I finally got it to turn back on but its not too consistent, for the most part I have to push the knob all the way in and the radio will turn on. When I put the lights into running lights or head lights all power is lost again. The main issue I'm running into is looking for a ****ed light switch. I cannot find any when I do searches and am wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you talking about the normal headlight switch or the Blackout switch?

The regular switch is available at any parts house. The blackout is a used part only.

I would remove the radio wire from the headlights. And I would suspect that the wire he tapped into is the issue. More than likely he used a scotch lok and the wire is now broken.

Also make sure you check your fuse for the headlight. Many times the socket is melted as MANY things are fed of that one fuse.

Don't know which one it is? Have a look at the CUCV Helpful Threads sticky. Many of the common CUCV issues are covered.

occularpapercut

Thanks for the response. I checked all of the fuses and they look good, its the pull knob light switch for the head lights. the reason why I think its the knob switch is if I push on it the right way or wiggle it sometimes it will kick back on. im thinking its the internals of the switch ie the contacts of the pull knob or something

MarcusOReallyus

the reason why I think its the knob switch is if I push on it the right way or wiggle it sometimes it will kick back on. im thinking its the internals of the switch ie the contacts of the pull knob or something
Sounds like that might be the whole story, but still, take this advice:

I would remove the radio wire from the headlights. And I would suspect that the wire he tapped into is the issue. More than likely he used a scotch lok and the wire is now broken.

Get that ignorant kludge cleaned up! It is guaranteed to cause you grief at some point.

dmetalmiki

When you get lash ups like this from previouse owners, don't keep trusting to wiggling and twisting, especially as the obviouse short circuit is causing damage (even a fire is possible!) just take out the switch, remove any surplus wires that are not supposed to go there, re-wire the radio (though a fuse of it's own) to the battery. or proper accesory point. If the the light switch is now damaged or suspect BIN it, Fit a replacement, you do not want your lights going out on a curve at night. Good luck.

occularpapercut

Now the big question how do i remove the **** plastic knob without breaking it? Im trying take it step by step and i want to thank you all for your help so far. Definitely been a big help

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In post number 4. You reach up under the dash, push the button (it is spring loaded) and then pull out on the knob. The knob and the shaft come out as one unit.

Then you unscrew the big round "nut" on the front of the switch, remove the unit from behind and unplug the wires.

Reverse to install.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you download the TM 9-2320-289-20 Tech Manual, the procedure is outlined in section 4-15, page 4-37

occularpapercut

Ok got the part swapped out but in the darkness i discovered the problem. I need a new fuse box. The 30 fuse is having a bad connection and i can see a small spark when it maces contact. Looks like im gonna be at orielys when they open. Glad they are down the street

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck with that. You may have to disassemble the box and repair the headlight fuse.

There is a thread in the CUCV Helpful Threads sticky that discusses the headlight circuit and why it overheats and melts the fusebox.

read this thread. It may help until you can get the box repaired

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?68969-Loose-Fuses

Last edited:

occularpapercut

Ok thank you. You've been a great reference for knoledge for a newbie to the cucv world. Put a stryker or a hmmwv and i got this. Just gatta get some wrench time and ill be on top. Now to just get my 71 chevelle wagon i have in California done or sold and ill be a happy camper