• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Light switch mod for safety

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

No rainbow or swimming pool........
Interesting vehicles.

Me personally - I don't think there is enough government money for me to ride in one of those vehicles with all the antennas on them.
Would have been just as well to paint a target on the top.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
(looking at the pictures more closely.. It appears to be a civilian H1 made into a limo and then painted camo with military tires. The little bit of dash I can see looks like an H1.. and the front/back both have center marker lights like an H1.)

So ANYWAY, back to the original thread. I was thinking it wouldn't be difficult to buy a couple of the connectors and create a board that just plugs in and does the wiring while still allowing the real switch to handle headlights (or possible even still allow backup lights). Only power from the FAN or similar would likely be necessary if you wanted some functions restricted for when in run mode. But the more I think of this the less I think that would be necessary.

I know someone sells a wiring harness to do this, but it would be nice to understand what their harness actually does.

springer1981

While this does seem like a good idea, there is some downside. I occasionally do night vision driving, and like to have full control over the lights. While not a great idea (or legal) to drive on the road at night with no lights, its certainly legal and fun to drive in the woods with no lights and night vision.
Since you asked and made me think about it more, I came up with another version that would retain the BO Driving light in the front. It would also allow the brake lights be shut off for BO driving but would allow the regular brake lights to function when the switch is in the off position. It would also allow the directionals, reverse lights and horn to also work when in the BO mode. It would not use the BO brake and directional lights.

I have a new switch coming and when it gets here i'll open it up and see if all this can be done. Right now it's just speculation but I'm pretty sure I can do it.

Turn signal6.jpg

Autonomy_Lost

That definitely seems better. You still wont be able to drive with 100% no lights (you'll need blackout lights at a minimum which isnt fully stealth). However I'd say that anyone close enough to see your blackout lights are going to hear the engine long before they see you.

Personally I'd still prefer the factory configuration, but it's an interesting option.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
That definitely seems better. You still wont be able to drive with 100% no lights (you'll need blackout lights at a minimum which isnt fully stealth). However I'd say that anyone close enough to see your blackout lights are going to hear the engine long before they see you.

Personally I'd still prefer the factory configuration, but it's an interesting option.

Here's an interesting option after your smart box takes a dump. Order the Camoteksystems manual "glow and GO" to fix the box, add option "RLO" Run Light Option. User selectable. NO hack, No rewire, NO trying to crack open your nice light switch.

And No ticket, unless you're speeding, CAMO Camoteksystems.com

springer1981

What is the purpose of this? Is this for if your light switch is burned out or doesn’t work?
I think it’s for people that can’t remember to turn the lights on
LOL, partially. In my case, I seem to forget about the lights until I go to use my directional the first time and it doesn't work. Then I turn them on. I'd say that is about 1/3 of the time. The bad part is I didn't have brake lights until I turned them on. I don't want to get rear ended because I didn't have brake lights and be at fault. Not to mention if a cop notices I could easily get a ticket. At night time it isn't an issue for obvious reasons.

For me personally, I would prefer the lights to function more like a regular vehicle than a military vehicle trying to maintain Black Out lighting.

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
LOL, partially. In my case, I seem to forget about the lights until I go to use my directional the first time and it doesn't work. Then I turn them on. I'd say that is about 1/3 of the time. The bad part is I didn't have brake lights until I turned them on. I don't want to get rear ended because I didn't have brake lights. Not to mention if a cop notices I could easily gt a ticket. At night time it isn't an issue for obvious reasons.

For me personally, I would prefer the lights to function more like a regular vehicle than a military vehicle trying to maintain Black Out lighting.
Might be worth reading through this thread from the beginning. There are a few "pissy" comments between members, but there is a solution to having your brake lights work without having to remember to turn on the headlights.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOL, partially. In my case, I seem to forget about the lights until I go to use my directional the first time and it doesn't work. Then I turn them on. I'd say that is about 1/3 of the time. The bad part is I didn't have brake lights until I turned them on. I don't want to get rear ended because I didn't have brake lights. Not to mention if a cop notices I could easily gt a ticket. At night time it isn't an issue for obvious reasons.

Sounds stupid but I have a routine that I do every time I start my truck. I have got distracted at the store and drove 1/4 mile with my emergency brake on. Lights on I’m pretty consistent with.

Last edited:

springer1981

Might be worth reading through this thread from the beginning. There are a few "pissy" comments between members, but there is a solution to having your brake lights work without having to remember to turn on the headlights.
I've been in it since early on, I make up about 1/3 of the posts at this point LOL. I don't get the negative comments. I think it is quite simple, if you don't like it, don't do it but why crap on others if they want to do it to their truck? Why does anyone care about how my brake lights work?

I purchased a new light switch and i'm in the process of disassembly to see if I can do the modifications I mentioned earlier. I'm in the process of building a tool to cleanly disassemble the switch. In my case I am trying to do all the mods internal to the switch so there is no wiring harness modifications and could be simply undone by swapping out the original switch. I plan to post the process in my build thread so if anyone else decides they like the idea they can do it.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
What is the purpose of this? Is this for if your light switch is burned out or doesn’t work?

Exactly to my post above. One of our options is a "set it and forget it" to the cumbersome operation and those a bit forgetful when fumbling with the HumV lighting switch. Yes... we all have done it... well I haven't LOL. User selectable. No messing, cutting and having to crack open the switch. (which can be like a nut and try and put it back in) All HumV lighting features function the same.

At Camoteksystems we build HumV "Glow and GO" start boxes. One of our options is our "run light control" that you hit on. Not for everyone...but when one's not so smart box takes a dump check us out. Having a routine / check list is great Idea too. Landing wheels up is a bad idea.

The second choice for first time starts, CAMO Camoteksystems.com

springer1981

So instead of being an adult and remembering how to operate your vehicle they just hard wire the lights? That’s hilarious! When a Humvee is to complicated for you to remember how to operate you shouldnt drive!
So it's about not being an adult now LOL LOL LOL, you guys crack me up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks