• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Light tower/generator trailer

oilcan

sprucemt said:
What my "worthless" pic does not show, is that the tires are m151 type.

It's the same trailer that has already been posted in the pic above.
Wow. I guess you didn't get the phrase "worthless for my purposes" from my post. It it a very nice pic of the tower, but I didn't see any description that might help with what I was looking for. I was trying to identify the trailer. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers...

ov1guy

Just when you thought that the light set was an urban myth, conjured by P.T. Barnum and on display only in Ripley's Museum...I bring to you proof that it actually exists.

Suffice to say that it's taken a bit of wrangling to get this thing from the south Texas home that it had for several years and on its way to Ohio. The first part was done a couple days ago when I moved it up to my place for pictures (forgot to take the camera) and then on to another friends house when plans fell through (again) for movement to Houston. As I type, however, the trailer is on it's way. Kenetic (Gator, Mike) and I have a friend who happened to be going to LA (that's the state, not the City or County of in CA) for work and said it would be no problem to take, saving me a round trip.

Some info on the trailer: The lunet was replaced with a 2" ball hitch making my purchase of a pintle and receiver plate unnecessary, but hopefully will goad me into saving for a trailer (1/4 ton preferably) of my own to go with it. It was originally equiped with 2 generators, but the scissor platform only has mounting points for the 2 lamps that are shown in the pictures; there are also no storage points for additional lamps. Perhaps being a dual generator trailer is a supposition on my part since I can't think why someone would move the single generator forward of the axle. As shown, it puts a fair load on my Jeep. Any how, before everyone dies from the months of anticipation here are the pictures.

Webb

Attachments

oilcan

Well kiss my grits, that dang trailer is real! I hope tweety bird's nest made the trip ok.

How did it go?

oilcan

And sorry about the hitch mix up. I could've sworn that guy said it had a lunette eye on it... Time to go scrounging at the scrap yard.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Is there an NSN on the trailer being shipped to you? The trailer shown in these latest photos is a generator trailer. If yours is the tower light trailer, the first photos shown is a tower mounted light trailer.

papercu

Trailer

That is someone's home grown light trailer. They taken the scissor top off a light trailer and mounted it to the top of a generator trailer. Nothing wrong with that, as long as it fits your needs.
But if the top has not been modified it was only made to hold the a canvas top weight. I'm glad I wasn't behind you while traveling. :D The 5kw will be a real gas hog for a light or two, (it run near wide open) most light trailers will have a very small diesel engine for a power plant. Good luck, Wayne

PS Don't forget to ground the trailer before/while running

Crash_AF

I'll second that as being a homebrew light trailer either by the military or once out of the service. It looks like they took the lights and scissor unit from the unit below (which is not good for use off road) and mounted it to that power plant (which is).

Later,
Joe

Attachments

oilcan

Ahh, no wonder I couldn't find any references to this kind of rig... What is that particular machine, crash?

Crash_AF

It is a piece of AGE Equipment and I think its designation is NF2 light cart. The pictured one is an older unit that has a gasoline powered Onan 2.25KW generator. The one on White Owl's site is a newer unit that uses diesel.

Later,
Joe

Boatcarpenter

Will a 120/240 volt Floodlight Generator Set run only special lights meant for it or will it run all AC powered motors etc? I think they are AC, but the model # has a DC in it.
Googled the model # but can't find out much.
Thanks,
BC