• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Limited Slip" differential possible on a deuce?

sgtrisk

Just doing some brainstorming after watching a bunch of vids from past SS Rallys. Is there a way to "lock" the axles on a deuce to create a "positraction" or limited slip axle? I educated myself on locking/lockout hubs - I thought that was their function. Nope. A great idea for highway driving, I guess, though.

So, what I'm wondering is if it is reasonable ($$) to modify the drives to get true 6x6 drive?

197thhhc

There are locking differentials out there. Detroit makes one, so do several other companies I have used Yukon Grizzly lockers in deuces and they are wonderful. They run around 500.00 or so and up.

welldigger

You can put diff locks in them. You have a choice between air lockers and Detroit style lockers. The air lockers are like the air shift transfer case. Flip a switch and they are on or off. The Detroit style are spring loaded. They lock when under power and unlock when coasting.

Air lockers are the most ideal but are very expensive.

The only situation a Detroit locker would be useful on a deuce is on the front axle with an air shift transfer case. It would also be a good idea to install lockout hubs.

w3azel

I'm currently waiting to get my deuce back from the shop. Having grizzly lockers installed on the front and front rear axle. I also have lock out hubs on both of those axles. Lockers cost me 2200 installed. Then 330 for double splined axle shafts and 900 for the 4 lockouts brings me to a total of $3430. Put air lockers and it would cost another 500-600 per axle and what ever labor wants to add. Then again I wouldn't need the axle shafts and lockouts, but I really liked the lockouts for in town driving.

sgtrisk

Interesting. I'll have to put that on my list of additions for next year. It would sure make a huge difference when going offroad!

Thanks for the info, guys!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'm currently waiting to get my deuce back from the shop. Having grizzly lockers installed on the front and front rear axle. I also have lock out hubs on both of those axles. Lockers cost me 2200 installed. Then 330 for double splined axle shafts and 900 for the 4 lockouts brings me to a total of $3430. Put air lockers and it would cost another 500-600 per axle and what ever labor wants to add. Then again I wouldn't need the axle shafts and lockouts, but I really liked the lockouts for in town driving.

Dude, you need to bring this beast to the Ga Rally, because I guarantee everyone will want to see what it can do on the trails.

59apache

Chipmaker
i found tis stickerP1010002.jpg on the underside of the servicedoor (over the mastercylinder.).

Funny, never heard from a no spin on a deuce, with exception of the Norway deuces.