• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lincoln Welders

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I didn't see any water in the oil, it's still exactly at the full mark and no water showing on the dipstick. The plugs pulled didn't show any rust on them either. I'm hopeful I'll get it unstuck from letting it soak. But if not, I'll rebuild it. Just hope that the cyls would only need a honing at most. I can handle everything but boring here in the shop. (Well that and grinding the crank)

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I finally pulled the head off this week. My worst fears have come true. One cylinder is terribly rusted/scaled. And there's substantial rusting in the valves. So I've decided to source a different engine. While it's not original, I've got a Perkins 3.152 heading my way with the correct flywheel and plate. (I love diesels....) I'm going to get the sandblaster over here at the shop and start pulling the amature off and sandblast it and the frame to get everything ready to paint/swap. I believe I'll go with my plan of using the extra M105 trailer I have here to setup as a welding trailer.

rustystud

I finally pulled the head off this week. My worst fears have come true. One cylinder is terribly rusted/scaled. And there's substantial rusting in the valves. So I've decided to source a different engine. While it's not original, I've got a Perkins 3.152 heading my way with the correct flywheel and plate. (I love diesels....) I'm going to get the sandblaster over here at the shop and start pulling the amature off and sandblast it and the frame to get everything ready to paint/swap. I believe I'll go with my plan of using the extra M105 trailer I have here to setup as a welding trailer.
I always like the Perkins diesel engines. Good sound units ! When I was at IHC several Scout owners had them installed and loved them !

87Nassaublue

Not sure about Lincoln SAE200 welders but I restarted a surplus WWII Hobart welder that had sat in a WVU agricultural engine lab for years. The thing fired up and had a fine voltage control on the end of a cable pigtail. It would make sense that a large welding company would make military welders long ago. Mark
A friend of mine who has since passed had a big old military type hobart welder. That was the best running stick welder I ever used or heard of. I tried to buy it from him but he wouldn't part with it a the time. Sometimes old equipment is the best ever!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks