• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

List of Shippers??

mhassett

I only let Ray Patton touch my trucks. A fellow MVPA member.
By the wat my wife and I used to live on Orchard Street in Chelsea, MI. Internation al headquarters for Jiffy Mix. My wifes Grandmother lived on Dewey Street.
MHassett

RGummere

Dad and I have had good luck with a place out of N Indiana. Logistics by Bontrager their phone number is: 219-825-2647 or 1800-666-0029 talk with Mike. Hope this helps

Jinx

I used Uship.com to find a shipper for my deuce. It's like ebay. Post what you have to ship and shippers bid down the cost to ship it for you. You can even pick the shipper of your choice based on reputation. You don't necessarily have to pick the cheapest bidder.

Alredneck

Banned
Uship is a rip off, 1/4 or more of the bid is fees to Uship.

I haul for them only as a last resort to keep something on my trailer.

I dont haul nonstop all the time any more but just put two newer Ford 350s Hotshot trucks together.

I still need a radiator for my Brigadier!

These days i am selective cause I have DOD contracts to fill and cant be everywhere at once anymore. Also prices for fuel and upkeep have gone through the roof. Use to be other guys on here hauling but got out of the business cause folks dont understand what it costs to ship stuff across the country!

3dAngus

Probably the best bet is to start a new thread entitled something like, "Need transportation from X to X" and someone willing and in the area will pick up on your thread and make an offering to transport.

exbrown

Maybe it would help us and GL to try and schedule some group pickups. Everyone could help each other and move a lot of equipment offbase and lessen the load on some of the GL employees. I know that some of them have pretty big territories to cover.

kennys@wi.rr.com

If it's a large truck and runs I will drive it, a trailer I can tow it. I have been doing some pick ups for members out of McCoy as of late and have one going to NY in the next few weeks.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used Uship.com to find a shipper for my deuce. It's like ebay. Post what you have to ship and shippers bid down the cost to ship it for you. You can even pick the shipper of your choice based on reputation. You don't necessarily have to pick the cheapest bidder.

Thank you, This Uship.com link is amazing. Just saved me a road trip.

paradeduty

Well - Here is my ameture take on U-Ship. I ended up using it for the load that I started this thread for in the first place. In the end, I didn't think that I would be able to find a shipper "quickly" to get the item out of the GL lot in the 10 days allotted and at a decent price. The GL rep at the remote site was nice enough to recommend a local wrecker company that I was able to have tow the rig to their place and store it until pickup. The nice thing about this was that (as the rig was a trailer and therefore not loadable on its own power - but the same thing applies to a truck that one might know is not runnable or has not been checked out so as not to do any damage) being as it was already stored at a wrecker yard, it was a no brainer for the wrecker guys to tug it up onto the OTR Rig's Trailer. This was a fairly heavy trailer (not a 105 or such) and so draging it 1200 miles with my 1-ton pickup was just not going to happen. But this way I was able to let my U-Ship request remain posted for a little while and I was able to get a fair price from a reputable carrier. And the Trucker and Rig were great. And if the pickup was a little late or whatever, no big deal to the wrecker company. They even moved it when they heard that he was on his way so that it would be easier for him to load. Relatively painless operation. I think that the difference between the original shipping quotes and what I was able to get it done for at least offset the costs for the various things with the wrecker company (remember - no matter what, I still would have needed the wrecker to drag up my trailer onto the OTR trailer). I did try a bit to locate someone with a loading winch, but in the end I think this worked out better. U-Ship is OK - I guess you just can't be in too much of a rush (to get a good price) and you have to accept that you are going to pay a little bit for the "assistance" of the U-Ship folks. But I don't do this stuff all of the time, so a little bit for some "help" is understandable. I can sit here and cry about the small stuff here and there - or I can just chalk it up to the cost of PLAYING with big toys! (If it was more than playing it would be more like working and that might be a little cheaper due to greater knowledge on my part, but would probably get old really fast so not as much fun). Just my 2 cents, gang. Take care, Dave.

Attachments

Bighurt

Best way is to start a thread, asking about a particular shipment. I've often thought it would be nice to have the ability to search members by location. In addition I've also though about adding something to my user page letting people know services I can provide.

:beer:

Mike_Pop

I've been hauling for eight years, collecting military vehicles for ten years. Lots of repeat customers who know that I am in the hobby and I know the vehicles. I'm someone they can trust to get the job done at a reasonable price.

For pictures of some of my hauls over the years:
Hauling pictures by junormaneureka - Photobucket

Thanks!

Mike Pop
Eureka, NV
Spring Lake, NJ