• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lister/Onan LPW2/DN2M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas606

Have new and used parts for these engines both 2 and 4 cylinder. PM me if you are interested

The thing is fresh out of rebuild shop, just don’t know what direction it is supposed to run, when I hooked up starter w negative ground it turned counter clockwise at the flywheel, not sure if making it positive ground if it will turn opposite direction, have heard a lot of military applications run positive ground,have had mixed answers as to weather or not the starter will turn the other direction, haven’t had time to check it out.

Guyfang

Staff member
I told you in post #20 what directions the engine turns. Your information on the milatary having positive ground systems is wrong. There is no power generation system in service today, nor in the last 40 years that has positive ground. The last gen set to have positive ground that I ever worked on was a Stewart & Stevens, 5200, 400 cycle gen set. Unless you are 65 years old, or older, you haven't seen it.

jamawieb

Have new and used parts for these engines both 2 and 4 cylinder. PM me if you are interested
dpequip, are you the guys that sell a lot of parts on the big auction site under dpequipment? If so I've bought several high quality OEM parts from you and been very satisfied.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter

The thing is fresh out of rebuild shop, just don’t know what direction it is supposed to run, when I hooked up starter w negative ground it turned counter clockwise at the flywheel, not sure if making it positive ground if it will turn opposite direction, have heard a lot of military applications run positive ground,have had mixed answers as to weather or not the starter will turn the other direction, haven’t had time to check it out.
The starter only engages in one direction, it free wheels in the other. This is why you can hold the starter in after the engine has started and rotating at significant RPM.

These generators push air from the inside to the outside of the case through the radiator. A look at the fan blade pitch will tell you which direction the engine HAS TO TURN for the unit to operate properly.
Also, these engines will not operate in a reverse direction, the timing would never allow it to start, let alone run.

Status
Not open for further replies.