• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lithium battery recharger for M998

mountaindogsix

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gents,

I have a ton of peripherals attached to my 89' M998. I installed a 160 AMP 24 Volt alt two years ago. I switched out the batteries for two new Optima's. No issues. I have a ton of add on's. Speakers, lights, Speed Hut instrument panel etc. This year I'm losing the radio power after a few hours of work and getting it to start is a bit more difficult. It stays on a trickle when parked and the batteries show 24 plus before I roll out and a few hours later its sitting at 22 volts. Those batteries are less the two years old. I have the system wired with a step down and fuse box as well. She's going back under the knife this week for more stereo upgrades and they may find something but ;....

A) I am wondering if there is a high capacity lithium battery or alike that I could plug in my trickle to when she's going to be sitting for a bit. I've got a solar kit to recharge the recharger but has anybody heard of anything.

B) Does the Voltage Regulator go gradually or at once as I wonder if that's my issue.

This forum has been a great help working the issues on this thing. Thanks in advance

Guyfang

Staff member
I would unhook the batteries, and hook a GOOD charger to them. Full charge them, and then do or have done, a battery load test, to tell me if its a battery problem. If they test out good, well, that means you need to look someplace farther. But this is an easy way to KNOW the condition of your batteries.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you are pulling 12V off of one battery for the "peripherals" or do you have an inverter?

mountaindogsix

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you are pulling 12V off of one battery for the "peripherals" or do you have an inverter?

I did the inverter last year. I've had no issues until the last few weeks. I was wondering if the voltage regulator goes all at once or dies slowly. My audio guys are going through everything again anyway but if I need a new regulator I wanted to get ahead of it. Even if they find an issue I want to find something to act as a trickle when I can't plug it in.

mountaindogsix

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would unhook the batteries, and hook a GOOD charger to them. Full charge them, and then do or have done, a battery load test, to tell me if its a battery problem. If they test out good, well, that means you need to look someplace farther. But this is an easy way to KNOW the condition of your batteries.
Yeah that's my plaan as soon as I get her back, if they don't find anything else.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, how many volts is it charging? if you do not have a voltmeter get one, they are cheap, everyone should have one, I keep one and an OBD II reader/programmer in every vehicle I own in the HMMWVs I keep them wrapped in plastic in the battery box. (most will not need the OBD II)
But to answer your question a regulator can go all the way out or fail when hot, no way to predict it.
If the voltage is going down while driving you have a charging issue no doubt about it and you need to address that before looking for some other quick "fix"

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you on a "trip" if so turn everything off and conserve power until you get home.

mountaindogsix

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you using a delco brushless alternator or a military unit?
160 AMP 24 Volt - HMMWV - Alternator Upgrade Kit. From “those military guys”.com

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If the regulator is failing you got a cheap alternator then. A delco version will run 500k miles with no issues.

What type of step down are you using or are you using an equalizer?

mountaindogsix

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, how many volts is it charging? if you do not have a voltmeter get one, they are cheap, everyone should have one, I keep one and an OBD II reader/programmer in every vehicle I own in the HMMWVs I keep them wrapped in plastic in the battery box. (most will not need the OBD II)
But to answer your question a regulator can go all the way out or fail when hot, no way to predict it.
If the voltage is going down while driving you have a charging issue no doubt about it and you need to address that before looking for some other quick "fix"
[/QUOT

I’ve got two on the batteries. The voltmeter on my speed hut gauge package reads slightly above 24 and is fine if I don’t use the radio. My system is massive so it might not matter and I need a bigger alternator or another battery to keep it going.
I’ll grab an additional meter and the plan is to test every inch of tbd system. I just didn’t know about the regulator. Thanks very much

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
It wasn’t a cheap one. I went that route prior and it lasted a couple of days before I got a good answer here and bought the alt I have.
I run a 100 amp delco with the same eaton equalizer with no issue on battery drain even with a Eyecon Kit. I can get 20mins of light time with the truck off using Group 31 AGMs. Those are HID lights.

The delco and equalizer are good units.

You just have a high amp draw with the radio that the batteries can't keep up with.

@74M35A2

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Slightly above 24V is no good, you should be seeing around 28-29V
HOLY MOLY $500 for a delco alternator what a ripoff

mountaindogsix

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the regulator is failing you got a cheap alternator then. A delco version will run 500k miles with no issues.

What type of step down are you using or are you using an equalizer?
Eaton Cooper Bussmann Sure Power 21100C00 Converter,
I run a 100 amp delco with the same eaton equalizer with no issue on battery drain even with a Eyecon Kit. I can get 20mins of light time with the truck off using Group 31 AGMs. Those are HID lights.

The delco and equalizer are good units.

You just have a high amp draw with the radio that the batteries can't keep up with.

@74M35A2
The stereo package is a monster. I’m adding a 3rd battery for additional stuff that’s being added but I need to get this straightened out.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It used to be a normal charge voltage was 13.8V for a 12V battery, that has changed over the years to around 14.2V so normal would be around 28.4V today

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Eaton Cooper Bussmann Sure Power 21100C00 Converter,

The stereo package is a monster. I’m adding a 3rd battery for additional stuff that’s being added but I need to get this straightened out.
Your equalizer can only handle 100 amps so your 160amp alternator is useless really.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks