• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Little story about first Deuce

cyruscat

M35A2 w/out winch, 1970 Kaiser Jeep, Toole overhaul in 1/90. Trucks mileage 19235 and 1105 hrs.
Whistler turbo, electric wipers

After downloading and reading all the applicable TMs and reading lots of posts here, I felt like I knew what I was doing. It helps that I have 30+ yrs. experience as an engineer in the defense industry building weapons systems.

Previewed and jump started OK. Added engine oil and diesel fuel treatments at that time as certain I would win auction. At pickup I added distilled water to batteries, checked everything over and jump started again then drove out. Only issue was low tires that I aired up with my glad-hand adapter (slow but works).

1st weekend: Changed air and oil and filters, changed all fuel filters. Greased all fittings. Checked brake master cylinder and lines. Checked all joints, bearing, etc. for tightness and wear. Adjusted clutch pedal. Took to tire shop to pull nail and fix leak. Put new rubber rope on soft top and bent roof boughs back into shape. Cut off bend on top of exhaust stack and added rain flapper. Drove it about 100 miles on pavement after servicing.

2nd weekend: Drained and flushed coolant system, what a surprise there! Coolant looked good, bright green from filler cap, but when the back flushing started it came out like red mud! New thermostat and all hoses, new antifreeze. Now runs 160 vs. 180 F before. Changed all belts, hardest job so far with them. Had to make an air compressor pulley wrench. Drove about 75 miles on dirt and gravel roads, great fun!

3d weekend: Was having issues with poor cranking when I hit the starter button. Beginning at batteries I cleaned and inspected every terminal up to starter. Another surprise, all the terminals on solenoid and starter had been painted green before cables were connected! Poor contact for sure. Cleaned and fires off instantly now. Also not happy with oil pressure readings, seemed low and bounced around. Pulled high pressure regulator and cleaned/inspected, pulled sending unit cleaned/inspected. Terminal was painted there too. Now jumps to 90 psi at startup (after delay) then drops to 60 cold. Hot idle is 30 psi and 60 at 2300 rpms. Been driving to work couple days a week now, everybody wants to know where they can get one too.

4th weekend: Adjusted the voltage output on the generator as directed in TM. Trying to save the GI batteries as long as possible. Only 2 years old but allowed to drain totally dead by GL. Cleaned and fixed horn button, was intermittent. Cleaned and greased window cranks, door hinges/latches. Needs new weather-stripping. Drove about 100 miles round trip with buddies to local machine gun shoot. I have been getting 12.5 mpg on diesel fuel so far. 50 mph tops though

Next: Install pyrometer and experiment with turning fuel up. Install 24 to 12 volt converter then some extra lights. Install heater and interior weatherproofing with insulation. Sipe/groove tires to do better in rain, mud or snow. Touch-up camo paint, etc, etc, etc…………………..

I love this truck!!!:razz::razz::razz:

Having trouble with adding picutres, sorry guys:(

steelandcanvas

I enjoyed your story, nice to read something positive occaisionally. However, I must do this:
nopicsIt's hard to fathom what you're talking about w/o photos! We suffer from photo impairment!

Heavysteven

Good Job,

So far its taken me 8 months to change the all the filter, change oils, flush brakes, and i still need to do the radiator work you have described.

Question do you really need the air compressor wrench?

cyruscat

Air compressor belt tension is set by screwing outer pully half in and out while holding the inner half still. I rigged up a tool that worked but took several hours of work though!aua

If you bring your truck to south Arkansas I'll work on it, but (always a but!) the price is subject to negotition. Also the wifes approval, she says I spend to much time "playing" with my truck already! While doing all this stuff I'm building a VW Karmann Ghia for her and she's getting PO'ed.

Oh forgot to mention I added the Solargizer 24 volt battery maintainer.

Thanks for you kind comments, even though I am photo challenged.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks