• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Little to no heat dilemma….

Domterry12

As the title says, I am blowing little to no heat. Last winter I recall having decent heat, this year I pretty much have nothing.
Here is what I’ve done/checked before posting here:
antifreeze level is full.
Thermostat is in place, it’s the hockey puck style, and opened and closed in a pot of boiling water.
Removed return hose that goes from heater core to radiator, removed at rad and blew into it and was able to blow air thru it and the air was coming out at thermostat housing (stat removed)
Put back together, fired it up cold. No flow from heater core return line (was able to see with lowered antifreeze level) no flow until thermostat opened and then had good flow back into rad from heater core
Removed glove box and made sure heater box door was as far as it could go towards heat; even unscrewed cable and moved it as far as could go.

im stumped, any ideas?

Barrman

Do you have a way of measuring the actual coolant temperature? Besides pulling the radiator cap and looking for steam from the heater core return when it dumps into the radiator.

My next thought is heater core condition. You wrote there was flow. But if it is just a single tube, heat won’t get transferred to the air.

nyoffroad

If you have access to a radiator thermometer just drop it in the filler neck and see what the actual temp is. Or if your not old school like me and have an inferred thermometer use that. Those engines take a long time to warm up at low idle and the colder it gets the worse it gets. I use a piece of plastic type cardboard wire tied to the grill to close off most air flow. Never had a problem with any of my trucks over heating either.

Domterry12

Do you have a way of measuring the actual coolant temperature? Besides pulling the radiator cap and looking for steam from the heater core return when it dumps into the radiator.

My next thought is heater core condition. You wrote there was flow. But if it is just a single tube, heat won’t get transferred to the air.
I could run the truck with the cap off for 10 mins or so and then measure with a thermometer. I can no longer see the heater core dump because it’s full of coolant.

Domterry12

If you have access to a radiator thermometer just drop it in the filler neck and see what the actual temp is. Or if your not old school like me and have an inferred thermometer use that. Those engines take a long time to warm up at low idle and the colder it gets the worse it gets. I use a piece of plastic type cardboard wire tied to the grill to close off most air flow. Never had a problem with any of my trucks over heating either.
I do have a temp gun. Just not as accurate and a real thermometer. But I can tell you after trucks been running a while I can grab all rad hoses and heater core hoses. They are hot, but I can continually hold them, they aren’t burning hot.

79Vette

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you remember the part number of the thermostat you used?

I've had the same problem for a long time and have tried several different thermostats with no success.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks