• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

live chat

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Recently, I have noticed people in all 3 chat rooms. Is this because of too many conversations at once?

poppop

I noticed that to and concur that is probaly the reason. I have a hard time keeping up when a lot of people are chatting.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like it if we could log into all three at once! Prefect for multiple personalities.
There are a lot more users in chat and it does get interesting, trying to follow one conversation as several other are going on.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
those guys were "in meetings" planning rallies in there home states. but it was not closed to any that wanted to sit in Tim

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
When a lot of people are in there, it's tough to follow a fast moving conversation when you are also reading a couple of other conversations.

mangus580

Re: RE: live chat

doghead said:
I would like it if we could log into all three at once! Prefect for multiple personalities.
There are a lot more users in chat and it does get interesting, trying to follow one conversation as several other are going on.
I have often wanted to do this as well. It is 'possible' but only in the sense of I could make a whole complete chatbox for each room. You wouldnt be able to switch between rooms as easy, and you would have a window for each one.

Its less than Ideal... and probably really taxes the server too.

dmuchow

what about an IRC server and java client? that way those of us with IRC clients as seperate programs could just use that instead of using the browser.

CCATLETT1984

thats something that may work, esp. since most people have java on there computers now. but the main issue would be the ports that the irc server would run on, since most places of work and some home networks block the ports that irc uses by default. We'd have to pick a port that is almost always open, like port#443 - normally used for SSL traffic. The flashchat is the best fit for the site currently, since all you need is to be able to get to the site and have flash installed.

Ditto on the taxing the server, although with the current number of people i dont think the new server would have any issues coping. We want to futureproof it. One tweak i wish the programmer would do is to "tab" the rooms instead of the dropdown, and show the text since yu logged in for the room you are in (even if you switch back and forth between rooms, so log all chat for all three rooms.) That wouldnt tax the server at all, just querying the logs. Too bad I cant/dont know anyone who can program in Flash. ;)

alphadeltaromeo

I sorta like it the way it is...it's not that hard to follow conversations I don't think and one can always press the "save" button in the chat window to open another screen of the entire chat that has occurred since first entering the room. This gives a static view of what has transpired.

Considering that there are three distinct chat room options and even though there there are "me, myself and I"... I like "us" all to be together :roll: Perhaps ya'll wanna have "split" personalities rofl

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
JAVA eh? Spilled it once on my keyboard, had to get a new one. JAVA and keyboards don't mix. Shoulda bought a toughbook.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The less java the better IMNSHO, it's not all created equal on all desktops and can bog down older computers. Flash is more universal? I like the chatware as it is. The current BBS arrangement seems to work as well on my old junk as the previous incarnation did.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks