• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Living with a HMMWV- The First 100 Days.

alphaseventwo

I bought a 3 color camo, 1989 M998 with a 6.2l, soft top, soft doors and 4 seats exactly 100 days ago.Photo Jul 04, 2 52 06 PM.jpg
First off, let me say that without the knowledge and data obtained on this site, I'd probably have to hear my wife giving me **** for this purchase! So thank you all for that! So far in the 100 days I've had to change thermostat, temp sensor, and rehab hydraulic fan system (Its not overheating anymore)Replaced cv boots on both outer/front half-shafts (old ones were torn) I've installed a Vic1 intercom 2-man system (soon to be 4 man) and learned there that a little sand-paper and dielectric grease goes a long way! Also have learned to check tire pressure regularly. When I drove it home from seller it had tire pressures of 4,12,20,and 32! nice ride there... I have also fixed the heat shield on exhaust pipe end that was rattling itself off- a little welding fixed that. New air filter, new oil and filter, new coolant, new gear oil on geared hubs, I've so far also run 5 tanks of fresh diesel through it. Another pointer- I sprayed a ton of LPS1 on every rusty thing I could find. If you don't know what LPS1 is, look it up- its used for cleaning guns, and gets rid of a lot of surface rust, keeps electrical contacts clean, seals out dirt/dust. The off/run/start 3 way switch loved having its contacts cleaned btw. I also took everyones advise here and installed the grounding kit! All in all this truck has been awesome, and I'd buy it again no regrets! I've read all the 6.2l vs 6.5l debate and so far really can't complain about the 6.2l It is one tough motor regardless, and has been super-easy to work on. In fact, I've worked on tons of cars/trucks in my life and this truck and the TM's for it have got to be some of the easiest to work with/on ever. Everything is accessible- and I love rolling under the truck without having to lift it. I'm looking forward to years of fun with this thing, and thanks again for all of you who post here!

Last edited:

85 USMC M998

I bought a 3 color camo, 1989 M998 with a 6.2l, soft top, soft doors and 4 seats exactly 100 days ago.View attachment 688606
First off, let me say that without the knowledge and data obtained on this site, I'd probably have to hear my wife giving me **** for this purchase! So thank you all for that! So far in the 100 days I've had to change thermostat, temp sensor, and rehab hydraulic fan system (Its not overheating anymore)Replaced cv boots on both outer/front half-shafts (old ones were torn) I've installed a Vic1 intercom 2-man system (soon to be 4 man) and learned there that a little sand-paper and dielectric grease goes a long way! Also have learned to check tire pressure regularly. When I drove it home from seller it had tire pressures of 4,12,20,and 32! nice ride there... I have also fixed the heat shield on exhaust pipe end that was rattling itself off- a little welding fixed that. New air filter, new oil and filter, new coolant, new gear oil on geared hubs, I've so far also run 5 tanks of fresh diesel through it. Another pointer- I sprayed a ton of LPS1 on every rusty thing I could find. If you don't know what LPS1 is, look it up- its used for cleaning guns, and gets rid of a lot of surface rust, keeps electrical contacts clean, seals out dirt/dust. The off/run/start 3 way switch loved having its contacts cleaned btw. I also took everyones advise here and installed the grounding kit! All in all this truck has been awesome, and I'd buy it again no regrets! I've read all the 6.2l vs 6.5l debate and so far really can't complain about the 6.2l It is one tough motor regardless, and has been super-easy to work on. In fact, I've worked on tons of cars/trucks in my life and this truck and the TM's for it have got to be some of the easiest to work with/on ever. Everything is accessible- and I love rolling under the truck without having to lift it. I'm looking forward to years of fun with this thing, and thanks again for all of you who post here!
Nice ride. Question did the Lavern Brush Guard come with the horizontal bars or did you add them. Either way they look nice.

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man I am happy for you. I hope you have a lot of fun with it for many years to come and give it some playmates.... I have been thinking about adopting a HMMWV to play with my Deuce.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks