• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMC Rear Window Regulator Goes Out In Record Time!

niferous

Ever since I got my M1009 I've had problems with the rear glass. First it didn't have any so I got it replaced. Then the regulator wasn't working right and kept skipping and not wanting to move the window up and down. So I ordered a new regulator from LMC Truck and installed it. At first it worked great and I thought my rear window problems were over.

Well yesterday I went for a ride and decided since the weather is so nice I would roll down the windows. As I did so I started to get that familiar skipping and hard to crank action again. To make a long story short the center gear that turns the bigger gears is completely stripped. I called LMC amd explained that the window had been operated all of five times and they said it was out of the six month warranty, however, seven other people had complained about the part being bad around the same time I bought mine so they are shipping me a new one.

Do you think that LMC will do good and send a better made one or should I expect this one to go out in no time as well?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I can almost guarantee they will never make a better one. It's cheaper to either replace the current model or tell customers to take a hike than to tool up and make one with better materials/tolerances/etc.

niferous

I may take the new one to a machine shop and see if they can make a new gear. I'm sure it's a real simple one to make. Just make it out of some much stronger steel. Then just press and rivet it all back together.

Crash_AF

If you do have a machine shop make an improved version, be sure to make it available here. I'm sure other people might want to take advantage of the upgrade.

Later,
Joe

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's probably NOT the register.

Most likely the crank 'clutch' has given out. Cheap pot metal piece. I have not found a replacement that works.

I concur with Crash. If you find a working solution, let us know. You could make a lot of people happy.

niferous

I received a new unit from LMC truck and what I'm going to do is take the gear out of it and then have a gear shop hear in Houston quote me a new one. If anyone needs one I will be making about twenty. I had the old gear out in all of ten minutes using a dremel tool and installing the new one should take even less time. Everything is held on with rivets.

Please let me know if you would be interested in one so I can get an idea of how many we will need. The more folks that need one the cheaper they should be.

Last edited:

Timber

I have a civilian 2wd K5 and needed a new manual rear crank. I ordered one from them and it never shipped. When I called, they said they received a bad lot of them and were looking for a new supplier. They gave me the choice of a refund or mailing it out when they found a new source. I waited and received what appears to be a good one. In my experience, LMC does not stock parts they know to be poor.

zyrtecx

My rear window that I purchased from LMC with out about the third time I cranked the window down...
But by that time I could not get a replacement or refund... My big gears stripped out...

Mark me down as interested in the 'product improved' replacement. My rear window regulator failed after I replaced the seals on the tailgate. I can't even get it out at the moment, where it was when it failed, one of the arms is right over the bolts holding it on. I've been thinking about cruising the junkyards for the parts to convert to electric.

zyrtecx

My solution is that I have several old regulators laying around that were left in some previously purchased CVCU's, so I cleaned one up that worked well and oiled aand greased and put it in and it worked... And is still working fine so far so good!

niferous

Well just when I thought the last one set a record this one goes and beats it!

First I called a few machine shops and finally got a guy in Houston that specializes in making gears. He told me that the making a gear would probably be somewhere between high and expensive. But even then he wasn't sure. I still plan on taking him one just to see what he says but for now I've kind of tabled that.

SOOOOO I had this brand new regulator and I just bought a good tailgate off a member here on Steel Soldiers. It came with a factory tire carrier that I'll be adding to the truck soon and will do a thread on. Anyway I ordered new window channels from LMC to make sure that the window had a nice smooth ride. I slid the window up and down to make sure there were no kinks and there weren't. So new regulator, new channels with fresh felt, new tailgate, white lithium grease on everything. I get everything done tightened down and then go to crank up the window. First time the window regulator has ever cranked up the window..... The big gear stripped and the window made it only half way up.

I'm so dang ticked off at LMC right now :evil:. I guess all they are good for is seals, lenses, and trim parts. This thing is a complete turd. I looked and it's that same dang pot metal as before!

Now what the heck am I supposed to do for a back window? I can see why most SUVs with a solid rear window have it lift up with gas shocks instead of roll like this one.

pgwaldner

Converted to power window from a parts truck (including the factory wire). The hardest part was getting the 3 strand wire that runs from under the dash back to the tailgate out of the old truck, but it sure is nice to be able to roll the window up and down from the driver's seat.

Buzz

15641780 this is the part number from the tm I typed it into the part # box at GMPARTSDIRECT.COM and the number still comes up and it lets you put it into your cart, it says its 116.00. If it is truly still available through GM maybe it will be of better quality that the LMC part.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks