• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMC Rear Window Regulator Goes Out In Record Time!

67_C-30

No answer but I do agree that the tailgate with a crank down window was a stupid design.
I love the concept of it, but the excution could have been better. If its not cold, I always have the rear window down, that wouldn't be possible with a 1 piece design or even an upper lifting gate. My experience with these is that seem to give less trouble when they used more frequently. When I bought my M1009, the rear window and regulator was missing. I got a used window and good used GM regulator out a junkyard, and I've had no trouble in last 6 months. I greased everything good when I put in, and so far, so good.

davidkroberts

yeah mine is really screwy. It still works kinda but i have to lower the tailgate and then roll the window up slightly close the window then pull up on the window on the edges as i roll it up to make it work.

What is the going rate for a junk yard electric conversion

ranchhopper

One thing to remember the felt channels on either side of the window hold it straight if you dont replace them as well the window cocks from side to side putting undue stress on the regulator. I realize the replacements are of poor quality but if you replace the regulator you should replace the felt channels and the long pieces of weatherstripping along the top of the gate. All these pieces work together to keep the window straight when rolling it up and down this is straight from a retired GM mechanic who worked on these for a living back in the 70s and 80s.

markg

where are all the spare parts the military ordered for repair of the rear window? they had more trouble than we ever did. every 1009 i ever had , wich is quite a few, had either no glass or broken handel. somebody must have the motherload of oem regulators and related parts. that being said ive never had any trouble finding used power window parts at the bone yard and new glass is less than 100 now. when given the opportunity i always replace manual for power. thanks. mark

niferous

If I had extra $$ I would have someone modify my 1009 to have a hatch rear window that would lift up like newer models, instead of roll down.
As I laid in bed last night I brainstormed about how I could go about this. I think you would have to shell out a lot of money to someone who did custom work in order to get it done and have it look clean.

I've also thought about getting some tubing and fabbing up a frame and then have someone make a top out of OD green canvas or maybe even that newer OD green nylon material they use for soft top HMMWVs. I'm pretty sure I could fab something up that looked good. Plus it would keep the military look. I looked at the Can-Back but after seeing one I don't feel it was worth the cost. Don't get me wrong it was nice but now $1300+ nice. If I made my own I could also incorporate some things the Can-Back doesn't have. The first being larger OD tubing for the support structure.

ranchhopper

I was thinking of modifying a set of cargo doors off a suburban the back of the tub is pretty much the same until you get above the metal part of the gate. I picked a couple sets up from the junkyard this summer I guess it couldnt hurt to give it a try reconfiguring the fiberglass is the easy part after fitting the doors

niferous

Well as it turns out when I bought my tailgate that had the factory tire carrier it had a factory regulator. I don't know why I never thought of it before. Anyway I went and took a nap earlier after duck hunting (last day of the season) and when I woke up I decided to give it a shot.

It worked great! :jumpin: Imagine that, a (probably) twenty year old regulator from GM works better than a brand new LMC one. I'm still looking for another factory regulator just as a back up. Also I'll still see about getting a gear built just to see how much it is.

I plan on giving LMC an ear full tomorrow morning.

GPW661

So Riddle me this Batman...2cents......Whats the worst design feature on a cucv M1009 ?
1-The glow plug system
2-roll up rear window
3- Figuring out the correct seat cover's color on the cucv :confused: