• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Air Conditioner

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AC shop is still putzing around with mine. They can't figure out where to tap in to the 12v and rather than call me for any info they just kept screwing around. The one guy there that seems halfway competent finally called me this afternoon and I forwarded some of Keith Knight's posts on to them. If it's not done Monday morning it's coming home and I'll finish it. They did the part that I couldn't which was make the hoses and charge the system. The rest even I can handle.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
12 volt can be tapped under the power panel, you can switch a relay by tapping into most switched circuits to run the relay coil. If you need constant power in the engine bay 12 and 24 can be grabbed at the power block under the spare tire. Nothing is fused so they should add the appropriate protection.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shop still couldn't figure it out so I just picked the truck up. They did what I couldn't which is make the hoses and hard line. Now, when the weather is a little cooler in the morning Keith_J and I will use Keith Knight's diagram (which I provided the shop) and get it all sorted out. This time tomorrow I should have AC.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And I was correct that we now have air. Like others have mentioned it is not the coolest - running about 65° at the vent with outside temps about 92°. We took it for a test drive and it was comfortable but no where near "cold" or similar to civilian vehicle. Still it beats a non-AC deuce on a 92° day.

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am starting to collect parts for the a/c install in my 1078. Does anyone have a source for the bracket which supports the compressor bracket TV040127 as well as the idler pulley?

Based on the results others have posted, I may try to use a parallel flow condenser off a commercial truck.

Thanks

scottmandu

I am starting to collect parts for the a/c install in my 1078. Does anyone have a source for the bracket which supports the compressor bracket TV040127 as well as the idler pulley?

Based on the results others have posted, I may try to use a parallel flow condenser off a commercial truck.

Thanks
I have the idlers

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great will send a PM regarding the parts.

Does anybody have the dimensions for the stock condenser?

After looking at my truck and the space available there isn't as much room as I expected to mount the commercial truck parallel flow condenser I was looking at.

May need to consult the A/C system engineers I work with on sizing the condenser.

scottmandu

Great will send a PM regarding the parts.

Does anybody have the dimensions for the stock condenser?

After looking at my truck and the space available there isn't as much room as I expected to mount the commercial truck parallel flow condenser I was looking at.

May need to consult the A/C system engineers I work with on sizing the condenser.
I've found a 21X21 or 22X22 parallel flow 5/8 thick condenser will fit in between the intercooler and the front air hookups.

acropilot

Good Evening.

I have a M1083 with a Cat C7. I have all of the parts except the bracket. I am in the Southern CA area. Do you know of anyone in this area that can help me with the install?

Thank you,

Duckworthe

Good Evening.

I have a M1083 with a Cat C7. I have all of the parts except the bracket. I am in the Southern CA area. Do you know of anyone in this area that can help me with the install?

Thank you,
Are you looking for an a.c. shop or a forum member to help put it together? I live in San Diego if you want some help. Putting a.c. in mine now.

acropilot

Thanks for your reply Duckworhte,

I have the evaporator, compressor and a three fan condenser. Don't have the pulleys and the brackets. Would like to do it myself. I would appreciate any help i can get. Thank you for your reply. Feel free to PM me to discuss. I'll do the same.

Thanks again.

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Based on another members post, I purchased the crankshaft pulley from Caterpillar. The part number is 298-1308 and was $188. I don't have the Red Dot part to compare to but from the photos it looks identical. Here are some photos of my install. Also you will need to use 90mm long socket head cap screws for mounting.

I still need to find the idler pulley and the lower bracket.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

acropilot

Can't help you there. I've got a couple of pulleys for the C7 (which doesn't help me either). I haven't seen a loose one for the 3116. I'm going to see if I can't modify the one I have to work but it's not a direct bolt in.
Hey Mkcoen

I have a C7 and i need those pulleys. Do you still have them? If so, could you please contact me via pm or cell? 310-628-0724

Thank you

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Mkcoen

I have a C7 and i need those pulleys. Do you still have them? If so, could you please contact me via pm or cell? 310-628-0724

Thank you
Posted earlier that I was mistaken and the pulleys were actually for the 3116 (which is lucky since that's what I needed). I have nothing for a C7.

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe the C7 uses the same pulley as I listed based on the post I got the part number from. I had confidence it would fit the 3116 since the damper it mounted to was common between the C7 and the 3116 based on looking at the parts manuals for both engines on caterpillars website. You should be able to verify via caterpillar.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe the C7 uses the same pulley as I listed based on the post I got the part number from. I had confidence it would fit the 3116 since the damper it mounted to was common between the C7 and the 3116 based on looking at the parts manuals for both engines on caterpillars website. You should be able to verify via caterpillar.
I believe he was referencing the idler pulley. I had posted very early on that I had one and thought it was for the C7 not the 3116 but, as often is the case, I was wrong.