• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Air Conditioner

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, luck was with me this time, I picked up the pulley 2 weeks ago and it was in stock at one of my local dealers branch's. As you said looks like no more in the system.

Hopefully I can find the idler and the lower bracket before my planned winter install or I will have to fab them.

InMemoryofRex

Possible Idler Pulley Solution and Fan Clutch Air Injector

FMTV C7: I just ordered this one and will see if it works: RD-5-6547-0P (75R6040) there is one on a large EEEEEkBay site.....

Also, I installed a little air injector for working on the crank pulley. Starting at around 70 psi, the fan can spin freely which means you can access the bolts behind it that tie the fan clutch to whatever is behind it.

Now I need to find a dust cover so I don't end up blowing dirt into the fan clutch.

Fan clutch air injector valve.jpg

Best wishes to all!

Last edited:

InMemoryofRex

Still working on finding the right idler pulley.
Bought one on E-bay and the bearing is screwed up on it.
I will buy a local pulley wheel locally today and see if I can mount it.
Sick and tired of waiting.
Several people have mentioned that the idler pulley is just a generic part.
However, none of the local truck parts store seem to have one that fits.
I have driven several parts people nuts trying to locate one.
Oh, and if you decide to leave the fan shroud in place when you install the crank pulley, put some tape around the sharp edge.
Let's just say that my arm modeling career is on hold for a while.
But now I could make up stories about a mountain lion attack or something similar.
Bought a Protecht module ($305) but still need to install condenser, run hoses and wiring.
I should be done in another couple of years or so.
If I would have any brains, I would have just installed a bigger alternator and put a all electric, roof mounted unit up instead of messing with brackets, taking crank pulley stack apart, etc.

Here is what I should have bought and saved myself a ton of work (really, it was just endless hours of trying to locate the parts) and installation.

http://www.partdeal.com/red-dot-on-...map=77173823&gclid=CKW-sISJps4CFQUIaQodNXcHUQ

If the idler mount works out, I will post the part number.

Best wishes and good luck!

Gunny 0369

Marine Gunnery Sergeant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello gents,

I read through this entire thread, great info. Now, Is there anyone out there that has ALL the parts to retrofit a SS M 1086 with the Cat 3116?
(Possible kit, or have all the pieces)
Thanks

InMemoryofRex

SandCobra's Picture

Here is a picture of the mounting location for the AC compressor on a C-7 engine.
This image was taken by Sandcobra - Thank you!!!

The above Red Dot Idler pulley did not work.
Does anyone know where I can source one or if they have the correct part #?
Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

scottmandu

Here is a picture of the mounting location for the AC compressor on a C-7 engine.
This image was taken by Sandcobra - Thank you!!!

The above Red Dot Idler pulley did not work.
Does anyone know where I can source one or if they have the correct part #?
Thanks!
I've got more coming in. I'll let you know if I have any left.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need the compressor. Did someone say they have them? Thanks to Overdrive for hooking me up with a lot of parts to help me keep my cool. Tanks

Last edited:

sarge351

Based on another members post, I purchased the crankshaft pulley from Caterpillar. The part number is 298-1308 and was $188. I don't have the Red Dot part to compare to but from the photos it looks identical. Here are some photos of my install. Also you will need to use 90mm long socket head cap screws for mounting.

I still need to find the idler pulley and the lower bracket.
View attachment 635594View attachment 635595View attachment 635596View attachment 635597
I got a quote from my Caterpillar dealership on buying and installing this part. Their response:

Subject: M1078 LMTV - PN 298-1308

6hrs @ $116.00
The adapter that you requested, a front crankshaft seal and excluder- $227.64
My labor may be a little high, we have never installed this adapter, therefore I'm not sure what all is involved.
If it only takes us 3 hrs.,that is what I would charge.

Labor: $696.00
Parts: $227.64

Can I get some feedback from SS forum members? Is this a reasonable quote?

I would think that a Caterpillar dealership would have the skill set to install this blindfolded. My feeling is that this is not a Fair Market Value for the Labor (yes for the part).

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can I get some feedback from SS forum members? Is this a reasonable quote?

I would think that a Caterpillar dealership would have the skill set to install this blindfolded. My feeling is that this is not a Fair Market Value for the Labor (yes for the part).
There is a fair amount of labor involved in putting the pulley on. You have to pull the fan shroud and fan which means disconnecting the intercooler pipes and moving them. My advice is to have the compressor mounted BEFORE you put the pulley on as all that stuff needs to come off just to get the AC belt on so might as well do it while it's already apart. Also make sure they change the water pump belt. Same thing about taking fan/fan shroud off to get to it.

Professional shops usually charge based on flat rate sheets. So if it says 3 hours flat rate to do this job that's what they're going to initially quote even if it only takes them 1/2 hour to do it. On the other hand if they can't figure something out flat rate usually goes out the window and they charge by how long it really took.

sarge351

There is a fair amount of labor involved in putting the pulley on. You have to pull the fan shroud and fan which means disconnecting the intercooler pipes and moving them. My advice is to have the compressor mounted BEFORE you put the pulley on as all that stuff needs to come off just to get the AC belt on so might as well do it while it's already apart. Also make sure they change the water pump belt. Same thing about taking fan/fan shroud off to get to it.

Professional shops usually charge based on flat rate sheets. So if it says 3 hours flat rate to do this job that's what they're going to initially quote even if it only takes them 1/2 hour to do it. On the other hand if they can't figure something out flat rate usually goes out the window and they charge by how long it really took.
That is Great Advice! Thank you.

On the Water Pump Belt, why would change that? Is that like changing the Rear Main Seal on a 5.0 Mustang when you do transmission work? The old $1 part with $500 labor to get to it scenario? Might as well change it since you are there already?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is Great Advice! Thank you.

On the Water Pump Belt, why would change that? Is that like changing the Rear Main Seal on a 5.0 Mustang when you do transmission work? The old $1 part with $500 labor to get to it scenario? Might as well change it since you are there already?
Chances are that belt hasn't been changed in many years. Rubber deteriorates from age and heat as well as wear and tear. I'm not sure which truck you have but for the CAT 3116 engine they're available on eBay for $11 including shipping so why not do it? Mine looked fine but I changed it anyway and when I took the old one off it was very hard and starting to split inside the teeth. I've got a spare in my tool box just in case I'm in the middle of no where and the new one happens to break. Cheap insurance. If you're running the 3116 it's CAT 061-8384 V-belt.

sarge351

Chances are that belt hasn't been changed in many years. Rubber deteriorates from age and heat as well as wear and tear. I'm not sure which truck you have but for the CAT 3116 engine they're available on eBay for $11 including shipping so why not do it? Mine looked fine but I changed it anyway and when I took the old one off it was very hard and starting to split inside the teeth. I've got a spare in my tool box just in case I'm in the middle of no where and the new one happens to break. Cheap insurance. If you're running the 3116 it's CAT 061-8384 V-belt.
I understand. Sage advice! Thank you! I have the Cat 3116.

scottmandu

I've changed belts without having to removing anything except the fan clutch air line. +1 on changing the water pump belt.

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The labor quote seams reasonable especially since they will also be replacing the front crank seal and excluder. As others have said replace the belts they are not expensive.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks