• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Air Conditioner

Gunny 0369

Marine Gunnery Sergeant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok Gents.
Ive looked this over, and it appears that most LMTV owners have all, or most of the parts, but not complete installs.
Short of owning a Cat store, it looks like the best way to avoid the pully/belt/compressor/set up is to just avoid it.

I found 12 volt compressor ran AC units, that run off existing batteries, OR a set of 4 that will run for 8-12 hours WITH THE ENGINE OFF. Now, this is a Chinese company, that DOES have suppliers here in the states that can get them for you around 3500.00 . Yep, that's what I said.
- I have 2 factories in China (unrelated industry) and I am going to order one direct, set it up, and test it on my LMTV 1086 and post the results. the cost direct will be closer to 1500.00USD.

just to reiterate, ALL YOU ARE INSTALLING is cabling, and the compressor to the back of the cab, and a control head on the inside of the cab.
I see that these are being used on Over the road tractors, with sleepers, so the LMTV SqFt should be no problem.

Ill be ordering today, and will keep you informed.

here are the specs of the unit:

VDC20D
ModelVDC20D1VDC20D2
Cooling Capacity2500Watts 8600 Btu/h2500Watts 8600 Btu/h
VoltageDC12VDC24V
Refrigerant / Charge VolumeR134a / 1.85 LBS (850 g)R134a / 1.85 LBS (850 g)
Standard Total Current45A25A
CompressorDisplacement15 cc/rev15 cc/rev
Refrigerant Oil / Vol.POE-68S / 90ccPOE-68S / 90cc
RPM2500-55002500-5500
EvaporatorTypeCopper Tube & Aluminum FinsCopper Tube & Aluminum Fins
Cool Air Flow265 CFM / 450 m³265 CFM / 450 m³
CondenserTypeCopper Tube & Aluminum FinsCopper Tube & Aluminum Fins
Air Flow765 CFM / 1300 m³765 CFM / 1300 m³
Control SystemInside Temperature15~ 30 ℃ Adjustable15~ 30 ℃ Adjustable
Defrost Temperature1~ 2 ℃1~ 2 ℃
Wind Speed3 steps3 steps
Compound Switch Pressure Protection250 PSI OFF / 5 PSI OFF250 PSI OFF / 5 PSI OFF
Power Loss ProtectionMain Batteryunder voltage protection11.5 V22.5 V
restart voltage settings12.5 V24.5 V
Auxiliary Batteryunder voltage protection10.5 V21 V
restart voltage settings11.5 V23 V
Ambient Temperature-30 ~ 60 ℃
Unit Weight139 LBS / 63 kg
Unit Oversize34.7" x31.1"x9.3" / 790x880x236mm

coachgeo

Something to keep in mind?

Having reviewed other threads elsewhere on adding AC to a vehicle...... 16000BTU AND UP; much much up; like 24000 BTU, is often found in vehicles cause folk expect the AC to somewhat quickly lower the temp after getting into a very hot vehicle. Remember a vehicle is like a Solar Oven with all that glass. Consider that with little to no insulation you can get kids and animals cooked to death in them if one's not careful right. With that it mind it appears the smaller BTU units like your doing is for maintaining a cool temp after one is reached. Which is what truckers use them for..... sleeping at night, maintaining truck temps after driving all day with trucks engine run AC on.

If one is willing to go outside the box..... they could turn the inside of their cab into an igloo with special spray on insulating foam. Not the stuff you buy at Lowes' etc. but a $pecial higher "R" factor $tuff***. Along with that, create thick Window Insulation Panels you can put on windows when truck sits then a smaller BTU unit with lower than typical vehicle AC output might have a better chance? Maybe disguise the "door window covers" as Armor Plating hanging on exterior of door when stored?)

*** can be done nicely when hidden behind later installed wall panels..... search out School Bus to RV conversions on the topic. Here is an example discussion http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/does-spray-foam-cause-rust-12335.html
A product seen suggested.. https://sprayfoamkit.com/

Last edited:

Gunny 0369

Marine Gunnery Sergeant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, exactly. .. Im planning a HEAVILY insulated cab, and window block/ tinting.
We will see what the BTU output REALLY is, or weather or not this is a crap shoot.
Illl be the experiment.

Good thoughts, thanks.

coachgeo

Here is another potential experiment. Just some stupid things been batting around in my useless head.
Something like this:
http://www.compactappliance.com/edgestar-ap16000g-portable-air-conditioner/AP16000G.html Swap it from cab to Box installed on back once parked if you use say and S280 as a camper, Comm Box, orrr?
Mini Splits can be an option too. Some have two interior portions. Put on in Box if you never plan to remove it. The other in cab. http://klimaire.com/16000-btu-klima...stem-with-quick-connect-installation-kit.html

There are others out there that use DC motors with smart power savings.. by stepping DC motor to avoid large power sucking surges. Usually these are advertised as "Invertor" or "DC motor" models like the mini split above. Opens various options for powering it. From Gen. set while driving to running of 200amp Alt. or even a shiat load of Solar panels on roof of Camp or Com. box and the batteries you would be buying for powering Box anyway.

sargentwolf

the unit hes thinking of is a mini split, but built for trucks. ive looked at it and gotten quotes on some. its about the same price as doing the engine mounted one, if you go with american made parts. kinda interested in seeing his results, as im leaning heavily towards his idea.

scottmandu

Another option is using an A/C compressor from a Prius or other hybrid car. They are compact efficient units but will also need the controller as they are generally 3 phase alternating current. This would be the "Cool" option as one could program the unit to cool 10-15 minutes before using the truck and not have to run the engine. You also keep the "stockish" appearance of the controls and can use the existing evap/condensor.

sarge351

Here is the drivers side bracket we seem to be getting wrapped around the axle about. Guys, this is the biggest mystery facing FMTV-dom, so lets work together to get cool air! I had posted this in another thread. The bracket is not the only thing needed (by far) to make the interior console work.
Does anyone have an extra Green Bracket PN 040127, part #15 in the Schematic, that they are willing to part with? I can not find one currently listed on Auction sites

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PowerstrokeNC

Ok Gents.
Ive looked this over, and it appears that most LMTV owners have all, or most of the parts, but not complete installs.
Short of owning a Cat store, it looks like the best way to avoid the pully/belt/compressor/set up is to just avoid it.

I found 12 volt compressor ran AC units, that run off existing batteries, OR a set of 4 that will run for 8-12 hours WITH THE ENGINE OFF. Now, this is a Chinese company, that DOES have suppliers here in the states that can get them for you around 3500.00 . Yep, that's what I said.
- I have 2 factories in China (unrelated industry) and I am going to order one direct, set it up, and test it on my LMTV 1086 and post the results. the cost direct will be closer to 1500.00USD.

just to reiterate, ALL YOU ARE INSTALLING is cabling, and the compressor to the back of the cab, and a control head on the inside of the cab.
I see that these are being used on Over the road tractors, with sleepers, so the LMTV SqFt should be no problem.

Ill be ordering today, and will keep you informed.

here are the specs of the unit:

VDC20D
What aren't you using one of the red dot kits from a few pages before in this thread, they are the same price.... Or is that only 'part' of what you need?

Another Ahab

Like this one...

i was considering this option and wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything
That is pretty slick:

- It looks like all you need to do is wire it up and duct it ("plug-and-play").

And the price seems about right (I mean it's no deal, but about what you'd expect); do you think?

scottmandu

Does anyone have an extra Green Bracket PN 040127, part #15 in the Schematic, that they are willing to part with? I can not find one currently listed on Auction sites
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The only people I know of that have those brackets are hoarding them for kits. That particular bracket is in short supply on the surplus market. I can get them new but they are close to $500.00 each.

Another Ahab

The only people I know of that have those brackets are hoarding them for kits. That particular bracket is in short supply on the surplus market. I can get them new but they are close to $500.00 each.
$500 for a bracket? That sure seems pricey (I mean, well maybe it's titanium).

Did you already show a pic of this thing; what does it look like!?

Last edited:

scottmandu

$500 for a bracket? That sure seems pricey (I mean maybe it's titanium).

Did you already show a pic of this thing; what does it look like!?
It's from the original TACOM supplier so it will be expensive and I requested a quote of 5 pieces. There hasn't been that many of them go for surplus.

Let me see if i can dig up what it looks like.

PowerstrokeNC

That is pretty slick:

- It looks like all you need to do is wire it up and duct it ("plug-and-play").

And the price seems about right (I mean it's no deal, but about what you'd expect); do you think?
yeah by the time you buy the compressor, brackets, new center console or go with the HMMWV type stand alone unit inside cab you would be at $1000-$1500 approx before you even start the install.....

PanamaMV

What aren't you using one of the red dot kits from a few pages before in this thread, they are the same price.... Or is that only 'part' of what you need?
website says compressor and other parts not included. Another words it's basically only the inside portion of a mini split intended to be hooked to typical auto/trucks AC compressor

bikeracer917

Does anyone know the correct hose routing for the heater/evaporator? There are arrows on the heater hoses on the truck but not on the evaporator. My unit is the r-5760-0