• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV and Four Batteries in Series-Parallel

hcso2332

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will be picking up my LMTV M1078 in the next couple weeks from a GL buy. The batteries are dead. The LMTV has four batteries in series-parallel.

I hate to buy four new batteries to just pick the truck up. I would like to bring two new batteries and use two sets of jumper cables to see if I can get the truck started from the new batteries. Can I do that?

Obviously, if I get the truck home and the installed batteries are bad I will replace all four.

Any ideas?

hcso2332

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am in winter haven, i can help, we could drive the A3.

Thanks for the reply for assistance. I would hate for you to have to drive all the way from Winter Haven, that's a quite a ways. I am a bit nervous about trying to enter MacDill with a military vehicle. They have really tightened security lately. Has anyone had any problems entering a base with a MV?

I also emailed Pctrans who also lives close and requested advice and possible assistance. We don't have any concrete plans yet.

It looks like Tuesday November 29th at 8:00am is the scheduled pick-up day. The GL rep. called and set it up, I still haven't received my EUC, so hopefully that day will stick.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should be able to use 2 batteries, instead of 4, in the truck.

treeguy

I wasn't aware that the Gov. was letting some of those vehicles go. Nice new toy, good luck!:drool::drool::drool:

Occasionally in winter if my (two) deuce doesn't have enough juice I can get away with attaching a 12v battery charger to the 12v side and fire it up using the "jumper" option. If your truck has 4 batts. and DH says you only need 2, then you might be able to get away with attaching jumper cables to a civy. vehicle onto the 12v battery (before the final batt. that makes the 24v). I think that this practice is not ideal, but if the batts. are already questionable than what the heck. Just don't cook your primary vehicle!

Last edited:

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mc dill is only a skip and hop for me, about 45 miles. I have a military tow bar and heavy jumper cables. There are many probelms to overcome just to drive it back to apllo beach.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me be the first.........

nopics

I will be headed up to Fort Bragg on Tuesday morning. No problem getting an MV on MacDill, just have to go through the commercial truck entrance off Interbay. You might try "Cessnatwin". He has a base pass and MV's to help recover. Also lives close.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter

nopics

I will be headed up to Fort Bragg on Tuesday morning. No problem getting an MV on MacDill, just have to go through the commercial truck entrance off Interbay. You might try "Cessnatwin". He has a base pass and MV's to help recover. Also lives close.
Here you go, i watched this truck be auctioned.

Attachments

Last edited:

hcso2332

Steel Soldiers Supporter

nopics

No problem Pete. I appreciate it.

goodguyzy

I didn't know they were getting rid of those trucks in good condition yet. How about bring a small generator and 4 battery chargers. Do your inspections while they charge.
congrats on the truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks