• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV arrived

coachgeo

He may have seen crates of HD (Hayes Diversified) bikes but odds are they are not diesel. That variant is extremely rare and only a few are actually been seen. HD delivered many non diesels to the military though and they look really no different than the diesel versions. Huge clue is the diesel ones have a JP8 label on them.

Last edited:

deshet

As far as the motorcycles go they are not for sale. They are not for sale and they don't plan on selling them. I am not remotely confused on what they were.

Thanks.

deshet

http://s447.photobucket.com/user/deshet1980/library/1996 LMTV

I took a bunch of pictures today.
Quite a few to confirm the mileage
seat belts with new tags.
New Air filter dated July 1996.
Unopened service manuals.
Clean frame

I also took pictures of problems areas.

Looks like I am missing the oil and transmission dip sticks.
The lines to the transmission oil cooler are missing. (confirmed)
Some cannon style connections under the air filter housing are hanging and something seems to be missing
Some electrical connections on the transmission are missing
Most of the transmission bolts have been removed (bolts that connect the engine to the transmission)
Can't raise the cab by cranking the jack arm. (fluid leak)
Looks like most of fluids are drained.
I need to tighten the some bolts allowing the cab to raise
One line to the air dryer has been removed.
I have to trace down a bunch of bolts.

Please look at the pictures and let me know what I need to fix.

I included some pictures of my excursion on 35s" tires with a 6" lift. It isn't much bigger than the excursion but it is larger.

Thanks

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have some headaches ahead of you. Fortunately member Suprman here will have all the take out parts you need to fix your hangar queen.

FloridaAKM

You have a good looking truck, but it is a puzzle that needs to be put back together. I wonder why they disconnected those items & threw them in the back of the truck? At least they didn't throw them away. Good luck on putting her back together again.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
What transmission bolts? Just on the bottom or other bolts missing. Post large clear pics you can add in red arrows or something where the missing bolts are. Above the air box cable is probably for an accessory you don't need I wouldn't worry about that. I have the trans dipstick. Is the engine dipstick missing or just the fill tube cap by the coolant overflow? The actual engine dipstick is a cat part. Pics pic pics.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Hard to tell from your pics. Is the trans still against the engine or is there a gap? Are a few bolts still in? Before I get crazy into a truck I want to make sure the engine runs. You can jump the fuel solenoid and with 24v at the starter jump the solenoid and crank it. If the fuel lines are disconnected you can feed it from a fuel can or something. Just if the return lines are hooked up it will return to the tank. I have seen a lot of stuff taken apart to drain fluids but no one is going thru the trouble to pull bell housing bolts unless they are trying to diagnose or fix a problem. There may be a good reason there is so few miles on the truck and that the dept you got it from decided to get rid of it. What year is the truck? Do you have single or double digit display on the trans controller?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lemme look in my crystal ball. Ah yes, here we go. Sheriff's office draws the truck 10 years ago from 1033 program. Someone is driving it in the 4th of July parade when all of a sudden the shift controller shows error codes and it won't move. Towed to county barn, some inexperienced mechanic decides the transmission is bad and starts to pull it, but gets reassigned to the bat wing mower. Gets pushed out to the back of the yard and forgotten about. What was wrong with it? Something simple in the dashboard.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like the transmission dipstick is in several of your pics. Is it damaged? Why do you say it's "missing"?

deshet

Missing transmission fill Tube circled in red.
The Tube above is there but no dipstick exists inside.
I have seen some with a small black dipstick tube that isn't there either. I believe it is the transmission oil check tube.

Thanks

Attachments

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
That's engine oil fill circled. Trans fill and dipstick is a bit smaller. You need to check and see if the engine is good before you go crazy getting into the truck. I have all the parts you will need. That truck could rapidly become a money pit.

deshet

The sheriff's office seems to be military vehicle hoarders. Some of us would do the same thing if you could have access to all these for free. I am under the impression that they get anything they want for free then they sell them off years later and make money for the department.
The truck has never been used by them. They got it in this condition. The transmission removable was started by the military. I guess someone planned to cannibalize parts. The story that I got from the sheriff was that it was used as a trainer they pulled and reinstalled parts on it as a training aid. My plan is to reconnect the transmission and get enough parts reconnected to see what I am working with. I am think that it hasn't ever been used by anyone. The 94 miles may have been put on by SS or during initail delivery.

Thanks,

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Email me a list of all the parts you want. Will atpawnking dotcom. If you don't know what's missing then large clear pics of the area will help. Most of your pics are close ups you need to take 2 steps back.

lmtvjunky

I completely agree with NDT, I bought 2 trucks from Gov Liquidation back when they still had the rolling stock contract, they both needed batteries, both fired up, one engaged into gear, the other didn't, I pulled the whole hydraulic control module out, changed a solenoid, filters etc, nothing to be discovered, put it all back together, still no go, started a continuity test from the controller key pad, found 1 wire that wasn't making contact, problem solved

scottmandu

Low mileage isn't the panacea many make it out to be. I've seen more low mileage trucks be impossible money pits than trucks with higher mileage.

buffalorunner

I agree with the previous. I usually get excited about a truck with what I consider the "correct" mileage. Where it would appear that is been driven and used regularly, in my mind, this is this truck that has always ran or at least kept in running order. For me, it has been the case that these trucks, though in more used condition, seem to have less mechanical problems and problems that originate from sitting around (dry seals, rotting lines, etc). I look at trucks every day with almost no miles on them, and it's usually because they have a problem (small or large) and they have not been fixed and probably won't be. They just get shuffled from one property book to the next until it meets standards for a DRMO.