• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV arriving at noon CST today, needs a jump, assistance please!

Overdrive

SUCCESS: LMTV arriving, needed a jump

Finally getting the LMTV delivered today at noon. The transport driver indicated the truck is going to need a jump to fire it up. I know the batteries are wired in series/parallel, and I have a 7.5amp 24 volt charger but I don't think it will give it enough juice in a short time to start the truck for offload...

Can anyone tell me the proper jumper cable connection to a 12v source that would allow a jump of the LMTV? or if this is even possible.

Thanks for any assistance.

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try the 24v charger, it may not take very long to put a top charge on them to start the truck. Invite the driver in for a cup of coffee and let it sit for about 20 minutes. Or, if you have two good 12v batteries available, connect them in series and jump from them. May not work if the trucks batteries are really dead.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
2 decent size jump packs in series should get it started. The battery box cover has a diagram inside so you know where to connect.

Overdrive

Ok I do have two deep cycle batteries I can wire in series available. Charging one right now and the other is fully charged. Pulling them both now. Quick lesson on series wiring. Both cables on the two jump batteries positive to neg? Will do a search as well. Thanks and will keep updated.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Negative on the left battery to positive on the right battery. Left battery positive to truck batteries positive, right battery negative to truck batteries negative. Chart on inside of batt cover will guide you.

Overdrive

Ok good to go off the truck and parked in the workshop. Batteries look like crap lots of corrosion. A multimeter is your best friend. Three batteries at 12.6v one at 7.5v. Since voltage at each battery is 12v not 24 I hooked up a fully charged rv deep cycle 12v battery to the dead one and the truck fired right up...

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Way to go, using a meter is batter than using a fire extinguisher. Disconnect and clean up the batteries and leads, charge each battery solo, and load test them. You may only have to replace the bad one, then again it may come back.

Overdrive

Pics shortly. There was no diagram on inside of battery cover but I traced terminals to see how it's wired. All 4 batteries read 12v on multimeter directly on each batteries terminals. The way I understand it you get the 24 volts by connecting to battery A positive and battery B negative wired in series. Otherwise they present their original 12v even with everything still wired on truck. The charger I have auto senses 12 or 24 and connected to one battery only connected in series it sensed 12v.

I had a fire extinguisher and battery box with cover on the RV battery when I hooked it up... did not heat up or act strangely.

I love this truck already.

Overdrive

Thank you Bikeman now I understand what Suprman was explaining.

Is there a certain sequence to follow when disconnecting the batteries? Going to pull them all and clean up.

Overdrive

Pickup was at Ft. Carson, CO. Glen, the GovPlanet site rep is a great guy to deal with. Pickup days as of this writing are Mon-Wed at Carson. Dropoff was my house outside St Louis, MO. 800 miles. Picked up on Monday and delivered at noon on Tuesday.

I went with Justin from Rounders Logistics (a vendor here on SS) who is a fantastic guy and great to deal with. Very honest and a great price. I would trust him to ship anytime. Even more amazing is that he put up with all my questions, concerns, and waffling back and fourth on whether or not to self transport. Glad I didn't with the battery issue.

Overdrive

Figured out why truck wouldn't start on its own off the transport truck. Both back batteries had zero water in any cell. Went through an entire gallon of distilled water so assuming they are toast... stuck them on the Genus charger for laughs to see if it can work a miracle.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks