• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV as an RV in California

Reworked LMTV

Ok, let me save you some time. I contacted the factory where it is made in France. It is a rare part. Most are European trucks. No, the Steyr version won't work either. Totally different wiring.

Do it your way and video it. I'll watch it.

tacosauce

I would suggest giving yourself way more time than you think you will need to get it back. I put myself under a time crunch and it adds a lot of stress to the trip. Make it an adventure. Put time into getting it ready up front and then head out. You don't get too many chances to see the US, especially at 45 miles per hour...

Third From Texas has a good list of what you might need. Someone mentioned an IR thermometer and that is worth its weight in gold. I also bought a bike lock so I could at least chain the steering wheel if I had to leave it.

Finally, I have a pretty good check list of what to look at before and during the trip. Green Mountain Boys gave it to me. He is one of my best friends, but he is a horrible influence and an enabler. Let me know if you want it and I can send it to you.
A checklist would be awesome and save me lots of headache. I've been compiling my own, but keep adding and subtracting stuff due to my lack of experience on these things.

tacosauce

I've refurbished worn and burnt column switchgear before. Is this setup special?
I think driving while the sun's up would help unless there's a storm.

tacosauce

Great video! Saw it no too long ago.
Nice vehicles and way, did I say WAY out of my price range. Would be awesome to have the capability for a frame off resto.
What were your takeaways?

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tacosause,
I drove my M934 from Ft. Riley, Ks. To Michigan. Brought it from Govplanet. I did it with three of my friends and we had a chase vehicle. Never needed it, the truck ran good once we burned out the old fuel. This trip was the best money and I have ever spent! To do it with my son would have made it even better. Do this with your son and you will get a lot more than a truck. He’s college age. You may not get more opportunities to do a trip like this. I would plan a week for this trip so you don’ Have to push the truck hard. Maybe stay off the interstates as much as you can.
I would suggest adding a diesel fuel additive when you head home. If it’s cold out, use one made for winter. One of the best tools you can have along is a credit card or ATM card with cash in the bank. Even if you have to take an equity loan to fill up the bank account, if you don’t use the dough, just pay off the loan when you get home. If you want to get some tools out to the truck, find a member here close by and ask if you could UPS your tools to them and pick them up before you leave. If you were coming to my area, I would bring them to you just so I could meet you and your son and look at a truck. Be sure to bring a way to get on this site in case you need help. There are members here scattered all across the country.
Now go make some memories that will last a life time and get that truck!

coachgeo

Tacosause,
...with your son and you will get a lot more than a truck. He’s college age. You may not get more opportunities to do a trip like this. I would plan a week for this trip so you don’ Have to push the truck hard. Maybe stay off the interstates as much as you can.
yes on son..... even though you'll drive each other nuts lol.

but NO on the stay off interstates idea. IMHO use them. less stress on engine, less stress on drivers around you cause they can pass easier and most important... more opportunities to get help if you break down. Using same route truckers use means easier to find a mom and pop big rig repair shop if needed. avoid the big chains and stealerships though and be adamant with any tow truck driver you end up with that you do not want tow to such a place. If driver is contracted to a stealership tell driver to move on.... you do not want their service.

tacosauce

You can thank me for this later : )

I considered something like this. Even had a used f450 crew cab picked out. Plan was to convert to 4x4 and bolt on a slide in cabover.

The LMTV keeps calling my name. My family and friends think I'm nuts for wanting one. My boys think it's cool, but... really?

The only other truck I might remotely be interested at this point would be a Fuso FG.

tacosauce

Tacosause,
I drove my M934 from Ft. Riley, Ks. To Michigan. Brought it from Govplanet. I did it with three of my friends and we had a chase vehicle. Never needed it, the truck ran good once we burned out the old fuel. This trip was the best money and I have ever spent! To do it with my son would have made it even better. Do this with your son and you will get a lot more than a truck. He’s college age. You may not get more opportunities to do a trip like this. I would plan a week for this trip so you don’ Have to push the truck hard. Maybe stay off the interstates as much as you can.
I would suggest adding a diesel fuel additive when you head home. If it’s cold out, use one made for winter. One of the best tools you can have along is a credit card or ATM card with cash in the bank. Even if you have to take an equity loan to fill up the bank account, if you don’t use the dough, just pay off the loan when you get home. If you want to get some tools out to the truck, find a member here close by and ask if you could UPS your tools to them and pick them up before you leave. If you were coming to my area, I would bring them to you just so I could meet you and your son and look at a truck. Be sure to bring a way to get on this site in case you need help. There are members here scattered all across the country.
Now go make some memories that will last a life time and get that truck!
Thanks for sharing your story and for the encouragement, Bill! I do appreciate your offer. I'd love to stop by and say hi, but I'll be starting out a lot further South.
One thing I haven't found is a members map. It could help with planning coffee breaks :)
Looking at routes along 85-65-10, 81-40-15, or 85-20-10.
Will need a couple tires on the front for safety's sake. Planning on picking up belts and hoses as well as some tools and roadside fix stuff like duct tape, wire, shoelaces, and chewing gum. I will be sure to have a few cases of beer as recommended.

Reworked LMTV

Keep it simple or you will spend a fortune.
I considered something like this. Even had a used f450 crew cab picked out. Plan was to convert to 4x4 and bolt on a slide in cabover.

The LMTV keeps calling my name. My family and friends think I'm nuts for wanting one. My boys think it's cool, but... really?

The only other truck I might remotely be interested at this point would be a Fuso FG.
The FUSO is not a very strong truck. The 4WD are harder to find too.

The reason I shared this video is not for the truck, but for the home-made composite cabin.

tacosauce

Keep it simple or you will spend a fortune.

The FUSO is not a very strong truck. The 4WD are harder to find too.

The reason I shared this video is not for the truck, but for the home-made composite cabin.
The cabin is definitely very cool (or warm)!

Thanks for the opinion on the Fuso FG. I was leaning away from them because the ones on the market seem to be made of a significant percentage of gold.

Reworked LMTV

The cabin is definitely very cool (or warm)!

Thanks for the opinion on the Fuso FG. I was leaning away from them because the ones on the market seem to be made of a significant percentage of gold.
Fuso actually makes a pretty good world wide truck. Since Overlanding really took off about 5 years ago, the 4wd versions are scarce. You can import one, and there are brokers that specialize in getting them. Seemed like too much of a hassle for too little truck. I view the 4 cylinder diesels as the Prius of Overlanding. They do make a 6 diesel which might suit some. Somewhere I have an entire overlanding Fuso build on my computer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks