• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV cab front collision damage with pics

JohnnyBM931A2

Don't think for one minute the M939 trucks are any better. I saw one that was a front collision the front area was bent up a bit not too bad but the doors popped open and the entire cab folded at the door sills.
Perhaps. But that is only if you hit a vehicle that is the same size or larger than the 5 ton. Most civilian cars/SUVs will not cause the damage that you had mentioned. It's more likely that the truck would roll as a result of going over the top of the aforementioned passenger vehicles. That's why I think that all of the M939 trucks should have been equipped with roll cages from the factory. That would have potentially prevented the deaths of our soldiers when the brake locking issue started to come around.

aleigh

At the risk of regretting learning the honest answer, how are the MVs when they roll? My LMTV cab does not seem to be made of a lot, and there are a lot of awfully heavy things directly under it!

JohnnyBM931A2

At the risk of regretting learning the honest answer, how are the MVs when they roll? My LMTV cab does not seem to be made of a lot, and there are a lot of awfully heavy things directly under it!
You will die. The weight of the rest of the truck crushes the cab. Unless you are extremely lucky, but there's certainly no guarantee.
I still plan on installing a custom roll cage in my 5 ton when I have the spare cash. May not ensure 100% survival, but it will definitely help in the event of a major accident.

tim292stro

Yes, sad thread, but a moment to learn. Trucks that were designed to be broken down for air travel will likely never have ROPS cages, and even armored cabs may not have enough structure to prevent deformation in a roll-over. And back on the cab-over concept - there was at least one incident on the bus conversion forum I participate on about a bus rear-ending a semi-trailer. Imagine a steel frame flatbed deck getting pushed into the first four feet of the cab - the driver became a double amputee at the waist and almost died.

It goes without saying, but: "The best way to not get killed in a collision, is to not be in one."

infidel got me

The M939 cab I saw folded into a V. It fared no better than the cabover. There's no replacement for a careful operator in any of these trucks they all lack modern vehicle safety features.
I agree with above posts, but if a 900 series takes even a slight front impact you are hurt. The seat belt will fold you in half and you are at the mercy of the steering wheel! Up grade seat belts and or seat will help some but moderated speed for conditions above all GOOD OLD COMMON SENSE will keep you out of the e.r. and the ground.

Another Ahab

above all GOOD OLD COMMON SENSE will keep you out of the e.r. and the ground.
All indications are, mercifully, once "in the ground" all risk and threat is totally eliminated (nothing there to fear: The End).

Unless you buy into the Hindu idea, and it starts all over again. Wonder if the Green Disease stays with you, and carries over into the next life!?

Any Hindu sages know the answer?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks