• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Cab Suspension Airbags Alternative

ramdough

Here is another option. I bought these….. still need to install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan007

I've been dealing with this cab airbag issue for a while now and doing research on the right parts talking to Firestone, PowerPacker, and Ohio Hydraulics. I've noticed as well that prices have doubled, so figured I'd share what I've learned to make it easier for other since I appreciate getting info of this forum as well.

Here is the PowerPacker drawing for the airshock assy that fits my LMTV (PP958900UP). The drawing shows the parts and part numbers for the assembly.

There are some discussions for a KA5066. This is a service kit containing the parts as shown on the drawing. The engineer I spoke to at PowerPacker originally suggested the KA5066. However, after research and more conversation, I discovered that the PP958900 is the correct part. In speaking with PowerPacker on 19JA22 they confirmed that they have all of the above in stock at this time.

I've asked them if the KA5066 is interchangeable with the PP958900 are interchangeable. All I've gotten from them is that they are different bags and shocks, but no answer if they are interchangeable. From what I have seen on the post and other places, it looks like the KA5066 will fit. From what I can tell so far, the PP958900 uses Firestone bags and the KA5066 uses Goodyear bags. I don't know what's fundamentally different other than that. If anyone else knows and wants to add in - please do. Due to the price difference, I will be ordering a set of the KA5066 and see how they work.

Hope this helps

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I've been dealing with this cab airbag issue for a while now and doing research on the right parts talking to Firestone, PowerPacker, and Ohio Hydraulics. I've noticed as well that prices have doubled, so figured I'd share what I've learned to make it easier for other since I appreciate getting info of this forum as well.

Here is the PowerPacker drawing for the airshock assy that fits my LMTV (PP958900UP). The drawing shows the parts and part numbers for the assembly.

There are some discussions for a KA5066. This is a service kit containing the parts as shown on the drawing. The engineer I spoke to at PowerPacker originally suggested the KA5066. However, after research and more conversation, I discovered that the PP958900 is the correct part. In speaking with PowerPacker on 19JA22 they confirmed that they have all of the above in stock at this time.

I've asked them if the KA5066 is interchangeable with the PP958900 are interchangeable. All I've gotten from them is that they are different bags and shocks, but no answer if they are interchangeable. From what I have seen on the post and other places, it looks like the KA5066 will fit. From what I can tell so far, the PP958900 uses Firestone bags and the KA5066 uses Goodyear bags. I don't know what's fundamentally different other than that. If anyone else knows and wants to add in - please do. Due to the price difference, I will be ordering a set of the KA5066 and see how they work.

Hope this helps
My originals are still functional - but I would love to know how the KA5066's work. Seems that the more things are used on these trucks and the older they get, the sooner they need a replacement.

Figure by the time I get everything updated, the next guy can deal with it 20 years from now!

mauinate

My originals are still functional - but I would love to know how the KA5066's work. Seems that the more things are used on these trucks and the older they get, the sooner they need a replacement.

Figure by the time I get everything updated, the next guy can deal with it 20 years from now!
The Ka5066 works just fine. Installed them on mine a while back. They bolt right in. The bags are different, but they fit just fine ;)

Dan007

UPDATE:
Sorry - it's taken a while to get back to this and update the thread.

The verdict is that the KA5066 are not identical but they fit and work fine with no modifications. I've had them installed for a while (January install and now August) and they operate really well. Pictures are attached below. My old bags and shocks were so bad that a comparison is difficult but the primary difference dimensionally that I can tell is the location of the inlet air. I did not need to make any modifications to fit the KA5066 as the air hose can accommodate both.

I'm very happy with the KA5066 and particularly for the price difference. I hope this helps someone.

Attachments

ramdough

UPDATE:

The verdict is that the KA5066 are not identical but they fit and work fine with no modifications. I've had them installed for a while (January install and now August) and they operate really well. Pictures are attached below. My old bags and shocks were so bad that a comparison is difficult but the primary difference dimensionally that I can tell is the location of the inlet air. I did not need to make any modifications to fit the KA5066 as the air hose can accommodate both.

I'm very happy with the KA5066 and particularly for the price difference. I hope this helps someone.
Thanks for closing the loop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronmar

UPDATE:

Great, now if we can find where to buy these… It seems you bought the last 2 on the planet:)

Plasa

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great, now if we can find where to buy these… It seems you bought the last 2 on the planet:)
I got the bags, but the problem now is to find a company that will be able to mount them on the existing shock. They are fixed with a metal ring, like hydraulik hoses.
Christian

Dan007

Did you reach out to PowerPacker directly? I found them to be very helpful. They could not tell me that it was OK to swap the KA5066 out, but sent me prints for me to make the decision. They were also willing to build some for me. I just found some inexpensively on Ebay and went that route.

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you reach out to PowerPacker directly? I found them to be very helpful. The could not tell me that it was OK to swap the KA5066 out, but sent me prints for me to make the decision. They were also willing to build some for me. I just found some inexpensively on Ebay and went that route.
You can still get the correct air bags. I replaced mine last year. I think they were $150/ea. Most of this discussion is about trying to find ways to get a cheaper alternative.

Plasa

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can still get the correct air bags. I replaced mine last year. I think they were $150/ea. Most of this discussion is about trying to find ways to get a cheaper alternative.
How did you crimp the new bags to the old shocks?

Christian

Dan007

How did you crimp the new bags to the old shocks?

Christian
Mine came complete with the band on them just like they show in the pictures I posted. I also posted drawings earlier which break out the assembly and the various parts. some part numbers are complete assemblies, others are components. Check the drawings if you want the details. It looks like Oetiker clamps the are supposed to hold & seal the bag to the shock . https://www.oetiker.com/en-us/

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks