• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV early years, before 1996 'first contracts"

Lmtv772

Banned
My 1078 was build on 11/06/93 and delivered on 12/06/93, as it was the second prototype built and delivered for evaluation.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LMTV722, does your '93 have a "C" stamped on the data plate along with the "D"? I am still wondering what the "C" on my '94 means.

kiwifarms

Blackmagic, there will be a "D" stamped on the bottom area of your data plate. That D indicated the driveshaft mod.

BTY guys, my M-1078 also has a "C" stamped just before the "D". Any idea what that mod might be?

Bob
bob could u show a pic of this plate with initals c d on it thanks kiwi

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many of the very first ones fielded ended up at Bragg, where they were all quickly deadlined and then restricted to driving at 30mph max because the driveshafts were falling out.
that explains why my dash is stenciled "30 MPH"
i do have all new drive shafts on my truck...

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks but I don't understand. What or when is "reset"? If "C" is for an annual inspection wouldn't a date be necessary to mean anything? Why does this seem to be the only truck on SS with a "C"?

tnx,

10Lugger

Thanks but I don't understand. What or when is "reset"? If "C" is for an annual inspection wouldn't a date be necessary to mean anything? Why does this seem to be the only truck on SS with a "C"?

tnx,

Mine has the C also and the other logo stamp you have to the far left. I bought my truck as advertised as a rebuild. It was inspected before auction and verified to have a new engine and trans. It may have something to do with that.

Blairg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anybody have a copy of the original contract that was used to specify the FMTV builds for the S&S trucks? Looking to see how the FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) factored into the build.

Blair

coachgeo

Anybody have a copy of the original contract that was used to specify the FMTV builds for the S&S trucks? Looking to see how the FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) factored into the build.

Blair
see what you can find out about the Brazos versions....... they were sold civilian and NOT military thus they did have to meet all highway standards

Blairg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
see what you can find out about the Brazos versions....... they were sold civilian and NOT military thus they did have to meet all highway standards
I don't believe that to be true. The FMVSS is referred to in the TM's as the braking system was built to conform to the FMVSS. Also,
the law suit that originated between the Government and S&S states in the lawsuit the trucks were built to conform to the FMVSS as part of the orginal contract. The driveshaft issue was what brought up the FMVSS as part of the original contract for manufacture.

coachgeo

I don't believe that to be true. The FMVSS is referred to in the TM's as the braking system was built to conform to the FMVSS. Also,
the law suit that originated between the Government and S&S states in the lawsuit the trucks were built to conform to the FMVSS as part of the orginal contract. The driveshaft issue was what brought up the FMVSS as part of the original contract for manufacture.
Brazos was non military version that had a cummins engine. (6.7?)

Blairg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brazos was non military version that had a cummins engine. (6.7?)
crap, I mis read your post. I understand the Brazos was civilian and had too have FMVSS. That's why I am curious to find the original contract for the FMTV program. I believe they were all built to the FMVSS. I am curious to see how it was worded in the contract.

Blair

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks