• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV fan runs frequently

sargentwolf

Sitting at my local cat dealership. They say it's NOT normal for the system to be kicking off that much and they suspect it's the thermostat going bad. Changing it and the water belt today, I'll post the results.

sargentwolf

Took a longer run today. It has switched from 1 minute off, 30 seconds on to 2 minutes off, 20 seconds on when going over flat terrain.

It also seems to keep cool better when parked, fan didn't kick on once when I stopped for a few minutes at Autozone.

A note to those changing their thermostat out: DON'T REMOVE THE OVERFLOW BOTTLE CAP WHEN YOUR TRYING TO REMOVE THE FLIPPING THERMOSTAT. It'll dump the entire bottle through the engine and radiator, resulting in a neon green Niagara Falls.

Overdrive

Took a longer run today. It has switched from 1 minute off, 30 seconds on to 2 minutes off, 20 seconds on when going over flat terrain.

It also seems to keep cool better when parked, fan didn't kick on once when I stopped for a few minutes at Autozone.

A note to those changing their thermostat out: DON'T REMOVE THE OVERFLOW BOTTLE CAP WHEN YOUR TRYING TO REMOVE THE FLIPPING THERMOSTAT. It'll dump the entire bottle through the engine and radiator, resulting in a neon green Niagara Falls.
Took mine out today for a test run in the heat. 50 mph and under my truck keeps itself just over 200 degrees after an interstate run. It was only around 82 this morning. Interstate driving near Wentzville, west of St Louis running 52 to 53mph fan would engage around 205/210 for maybe 20 seconds then shut off. At the higher speed on gentle hills it came on maybe once every minute or two.

Trip home on back highways under 50 again the fan didn't engage and Temps just a tad over 200.

Got a little blow by smoke out of the crankcase breather after first 20 min run when I stopped to check the truck over before going on the interstate. But after that didn't do it again. Everything ran great.

I have fresh converted CAT ELC coolant and new thermostat. BTY, stock thermostat is 180 degree.
Also finished installing the new MRAP air dryer so it was a multi test run.

OD

Last edited:

sargentwolf

I'm surprised we didn't see each other! I was out and about today as well!

Fan only ran when I started up and down the hills on 64 in town and country. Think it's been solved with the thermostat and belt change.

Overdrive

Oh snap! We have to plan a meet up. Haven't changed the belt yet on mine.

LMTV004.jpg

Interesting notes on today's run...
1 - gear whirling noise most of us have from the planetary gears is decreasing. Did it a bit when I first started out but became more infrequent as I drove. Changed out the gear oil in the front hubs to 75w90 synthetic when I first got the truck.haven't changed the front and rear diffs yet.

2 - all the soundproofing works well but funny that now the noises are driveline and tires. Can't hardly hear the engine in the cab except for turbo spoiling. Still have not added sound Deadner to passenger door and ran with Windows down. Fan at freeway speed still sounds like a freakin hurricane when it engages. Still too loud to hear the CB at freeway speed so need to add a speaker.

3 - hearing a light pop or knock from the steering when I turn right at low speed but not all the time so need to check that out.

OD

Last edited:

sargentwolf

Oh, been meaning to ask, with the hubs. Front one, obvisouly change the hub oil, 11oz of gear oil also drain and refill the pumpkin. Rear ones, do you drain and change out via the hubs or would draining the pumpkin and refilling it be enough?

Asking because theres the same plugs on the rear as front yet i cannot find any info in the TM on it, but seen posts here about the rear.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea dump your rear hubs to get the oil changed out. When I did mine with hubs empty I filled the axle housing till the oil came out. After the axle drained into the hubs my level was correct one inch down from the fill plug.

sargentwolf

Ok, so do both the front and rear hubs the same way then, correct? Doing it today if it doesnt get too hot or stops raining sometime before noon.

Overdrive

The rear axle is shared fluid with the rear hubs. I am going to try it the way Floridianson described on the drain and fill.

The front axle does NOT share fluid with the front hubs they are separate. TM describes the whole drain at 6 o'clock and fill/check at 4 I believe. only 11 oz for each. When I got my truck I guess whomever serviced it last didn't realize this. The diff fluid was clean as a whistle but both front hubs had black oil and the driver side was almost tar...

OD

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks