• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lmtv from Ft Bragg North Carolina to Oklahoma City

sstephens637

Picking up my new M1078 at Ft. Bragg in the next 2 weeks, planning to drive straight through to OKC.

Might be a little ambitious since this was an auction truck and i dont have a way to verify how well it will do on the trip. May just default to having it shipped. What does everyone think?i

Shark Bait

Ship it. Too many unknowns. I've had all 5 of my trucks shipped, way less to worry about and no need to put anyone or anything in jeopardy. And enjoy it. They are a fun truck to drive.

Dave

lino

Shipping is definitely the safer option. If you do decide to drive, I'd have shipping lined up as backup.

But I have another question.

How can you drive an untitled (therefore unlicensed and uninsured) vehicle on the road?
My understanding ( and I could be wrong) is that GP won't let you drive the vehicle away anyway.
Yet I hear of it happening often. What am I missing?

ciao
lino

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter

How can you drive an untitled (therefore unlicensed and uninsured) vehicle on the road?
My understanding ( and I could be wrong) is that GP won't let you drive the vehicle away anyway.
Yet I hear of it happening often. What am I missing?
Depends on your state but TX will allow you to get a 30 day temporary tag while you're waiting for your paperwork and an insurance company will sell you a policy on an untitled vehicle (heck they'd sell you a policy on one of my vehicles). I've picked up many GL vehicles that way.

To the OP, I'd ship it. I've had too many issues with auction vehicles to trust driving one in unknown condition that distance. LMTVs are notorious for computer issues and it's really not worth what you'd save if you're stuck in the middle of no where waiting on a REAL expensive tow.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I'm already inspecting two trucks Monday... might as well make it a third. PM me your truck information and I will inspect it. I'll need the govplanet number on the front of it and your preferred method to contact you after I inspect the truck.

Even though I've seen trucks make long trips, I still recommend shipping.

sstephens637

Ive got a quote on the insurance already, having govplanet get me a title, and in ok i have 30 days to transfer.
im just thinking 2300-$4k is a lot to ship a $6500 vehicle...but it doesnt sound too unreasonable either, considering.
It would definately be a trip to tell stories about, but i also dont want to be stranded somewhere in the smokies...!!!
Ive ordered filter kits, and a replacement ctis computer. Everything supposedly works (minus ctis) at least as far as their inspection on govplanet. The tires look to be in great condition. A little rust to clean up but not too bad.

sstephens637

I figure it'll cost about 600-650 in fuel. Plus the ticket out there. Im guessing $200. So my dilemma is whether its worth $1400 or so for the possible savings. If i didnt have obligations at work and home id go for it, but not sure i want to risk the headaches.
noone happens to be making a trip along this route anytime soon, by chance? ;)

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you drive it I would leave Atlanta and go west on I-20 to Birmingham and then go to Memphis and pick up I-40 back to OKC. That will keep you out of the mountains (Monteagle in Tennessee is a booger) and on flatter ground. Ron does a lot of recoveries out of Atlanta and can help you out. PM me for his phone number if he doesn't speak up.

trackhunter

Just drove 1085 miles from Ft Riley KS to SE Idaho in a M934A2 Van truck. I look at it as an adventure, take a few hand tools and you will be fine..... at the worst you will have to get it towed off the interstate and shipped home. Give your insurance a call before you take off and, all they should need is a picture of it and a vin #. You cant take many hand tools though, these **** airlines charge an arm and a leg if your bag is over 50 pounds.

trackhunter

I took just a basic socket set and wrenches, a few screwdrivers and, always throw in a few zip ties.Take a long enough half inch drive breaker bar to check the differentials. A razor blade and scraper are a good idea also, they usually have tape and stickers all over the windows.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
check both Technoweenies' thread and alaskaboy's thread as they both (crazy dudes) picked M934s from Bragg and drove to Seattle (give or take).

sstephens637

Got it!

Had it shipped. Just got here Thursday night. Kinda glad since the ctis has a slow leak, and I probably wouldn't have thought to bring the seal kit for that. Overall a nice truck, I'll keep everyone posted on my mods. Gonna paint, add light, a hitch, cameras, possibly seats, hopefully a/c, accessory panel, window tint, and maybe more. Gonna probably go dark grey and matte black. (Like my avatar) any input?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks