• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV headlight buckets rotated?

Guruman

Not so new member
I was feeling pretty down about how terrible the headlights are in my new (to me) m1078. In cleaning the shop last week, I stumbled on a new set of cheap projector lamps (the kind that take a h4 bulb).

I decided t swap them in real quick.... ugh... what a hassle. The Packard to h4 adapters I had broke immediately due to being made of economy grade Chinesium. So I decide to just cut the wires off the military sealed-beams and butt splice the connectors onto a H4 socket. half an hour later... done.

I struggled forever to get the new bulbs into place.... just. won't. fit....

I kept thinking the back of the bulb housing or wiring pigtail was contacting the inside of the bucket.... but after way too many minutes of trying to get it all back in the hole. I noticed that the alignment tube on the headlight did not line up with the notches in the bucket.

The headlight has lugs at the 10, 2 and 6 o'clock positions, but the bucket was rotated like 45 degrees. So that with the bulb installed into the location slots, the "top" was about the 2 o'clock position.

I had to swap the old bulbs back in ( the locating lugs line up fine).

I'm really confused by this. I've had a lot of weird junk, and a 7 inch round headlight has always been a 7 inch round headlight. I never knew they made them with different locating lugs.

Anyone else ever noticed this? Would a 24v bulb have a different lug location?

Weird.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could be that PVT Snuffy rotated the housing on the bumper. They are only held on by three 13mm nuts on the back side. Try rotating the housing? Are the incandescent bulbs right way up?

I would say if the housing isn't rotated incorrectly then the projectors you got were probably made incorrectly or for a non-standard application.

I don't think there's any difference between 6v, 12v, or 24v 7" round bulbs..... I know I mistakenly installed a 6v bulb once and promptly blew the filament out. Fitment was fine though.

coachgeo

I have this problem too. the glass halogen lens does not actually fit at all. Mine are technically Not DOT cause off too high power (they are off road use only).. (I was going to aim them lower than required to compensate)...... but they do not fit at all... nubs on the glass edge are in wrong place. I fudged one on

Guruman

Not so new member
I have this problem too. the glass halogen lens does not actually fit at all. Mine are technically Not DOT cause off too high power (they are off road use only).. (I was going to aim them lower than required to compensate)...... but they do not fit at all... nubs on the glass edge are in wrong place. I fudged one on

Well, at least I'm (probably) not crazy.

Guruman

Not so new member
Could be that PVT Snuffy rotated the housing on the bumper. They are only held on by three 13mm nuts on the back side. Try rotating the housing? Are the incandescent bulbs right way up?

I would say if the housing isn't rotated incorrectly then the projectors you got were probably made incorrectly or for a non-standard application.

I don't think there's any difference between 6v, 12v, or 24v 7" round bulbs..... I know I mistakenly installed a 6v bulb once and promptly blew the filament out. Fitment was fine though.
The incandescents are indeed the right way up. I might just remove the buckets, and re-drill the mounting holes. But I still don't get why they would be different.

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have a source for these?
JW Speaker:

Try these:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks