• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Lug nut size

aleigh

Anyone know the size for a LMTV lug nut? and bonus points the nuts that hold the wheel together?

I've got to buy some sockets and my tuck is not here. Got my 2nd flat and had to leave it up in the mtns. I think it's time to get tires that were made later than 2004...

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have time to spare (little tire humor) I've got a set of mounted GoodYears that have never been on a truck. They're date stamped '08 and '09 but appear to be brand new. I'm changing my truck over to a set as soon as I have a helping hand to change them. If you're back in the general area (south of UT and east of CA) we could probably arrange to meet for a swap as I don't want to hassle with trying to ship these. $1000 for the set.

aleigh

Cool. I haven't decided when I'll be down there next - where to winter - but I'll keep that in mind. In this case I had to leave the truck up in the mountains, so I need just about anything round as quickly as I can get it, so I can fetch the truck back. I've got some good leads to get a tire today even though it's Sunday. All I can say is this is a great community of folks.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool. I haven't decided when I'll be down there next - where to winter - but I'll keep that in mind. In this case I had to leave the truck up in the mountains, so I need just about anything round as quickly as I can get it, so I can fetch the truck back. I've got some good leads to get a tire today even though it's Sunday. All I can say is this is a great community of folks.
Yeh if you were closer I've got some used ones you could have for free. See, right there's a reason to winter in TX :)

Lmtv772

Banned
If you have time to spare (little tire humor) I've got a set of mounted GoodYears that have never been on a truck. They're date stamped '08 and '09 but appear to be brand new. I'm changing my truck over to a set as soon as I have a helping hand to change them. If you're back in the general area (south of UT and east of CA) we could probably arrange to meet for a swap as I don't want to hassle with trying to ship these. $1000 for the set.
is that for 5 tires?

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been doing some LMTV tire work recently and used this tool:

http://www.uniquetruck.com/p-16732-...UjrPUTO6rtkt8x-IVGPaVoOEA-z6mcZsY8aAjLk8P8HAQ

You can forget about needing a cheater bar to break the nuts loose (1-1/2" lug nuts). Just start cranking the handle to break the toughest nut. The nuts I removed before buying this torque multiplier required a 6 ft cheater, and considerable effort. Tight!

There's a 1" drive extension in the kit that works with the speed handle to take the loosened nuts off. This tool comes with a 1-1/2" socket, 1" drive. The same tool is available not as a kit, for a lower price, if you have 1" sockets already.

I also used the tool for the wheel disassembly nuts, 15/16" deep socket, but had to find a socket for that. I used a 1" to 3/4" adapter because I already had 3/4" drive deep socket of 15/16" size. That combination was a little long. A 1" drive 15/16" deep socket would have been better.

BTW, unless you know the leaks were tire related, you should evaluate first. Might be an o-ring leak (buy some spare wheel o-rings) or a ctis related leak.

Last edited:

aleigh

Well, now I know how to mount wheels. Bought a couple of dismounted goodyears today, and mounted up one on the spare wheel that I had previously blown which was sitting here at the shop. Will take it up and rescue the truck tomorrow.

In general for this stuff after years of using air now I just use a Milwaukee impact gun. Electric, rechargeable. Makes 1100 ft/lb. Nuts either come off or snap in half but either way you get the tire off the truck.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you made it out. I'm really hoping to not have to change a tire in the field. It's bad enough in the driveway with all my tools in easy reach.

Overdrive

All done. Nobody messed with the truck thankfully, but at least someone came through because the tree I snagged up on in the first place was already cleared out, which I was expecting on having to do.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/adventioneering/albums/72157670508836042
Excellent pics on the recovery.

I purchased a full size torque wrench from Amazon (3/4 Inch Drive Click Style Torque Wrench - 100-600 ft-lbs) that comes with a case and oddly fits perfectly inside the empty cavity where the rear spreader bars go for when I need to change a tire. That torque drill looks pretty slick.