• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV M1079 Air compressor (brakes/tires) not inflating.

jedatide

Help! Once again, I am not a savvy computer guy. I looked through the forums (so much information), to see if I could find any threads for air problems/trouble-shooting. My LMTV starts, idles; however, my tires and brakes are not airing up. I usually start my LMTV monthly, and I noticed this problem just recently. Can anyone point me in the right direction to start researching? Has anyone else has this issue? Your time, expertise, and effort is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jeff

Ronmar

Yep, either the dryer purge valve is stuck or the governor on the compressor head is sending control air to it to hold it open. If the purge valve won’t stay closed, disconnect the small hose attached to the bottom of the dryer. That hose runs up to the governor. The governor should only send air down that small line to the dryer when it reaches set pressure and unloads/stops compressing air. If that line has steady air coming out of it, something is wrong with the governor…

jedatide

Way cool. It worked! Thanks. The air dryer had a triangle, three bolt, mounting plate, which held the 90 degree elbow to the assembly. After removal, there was a course, threaded bolt that appeared to push a rubber diaprahm. I removed the bolt (not much more I could do, at this point), and re-installed it (it would only allow me to tighten it so much). Replaced everything, then I started her up, checked the air dryer, and no air was coming out. Tires/brakes aired up, GTG. THANKS, AGAIN!

Ronmar

Way cool. It worked! Thanks. The air dryer had a triangle, three bolt, mounting plate, which held the 90 degree elbow to the assembly. After removal, there was a course, threaded bolt that appeared to push a rubber diaprahm. I removed the bolt (not much more I could do, at this point), and re-installed it (it would only allow me to tighten it so much). Replaced everything, then I started her up, checked the air dryer, and no air was coming out. Tires/brakes aired up, GTG. THANKS, AGAIN!
You should probably pull it(the whole dryer) apart and clean it out. All the water and oily snot gets blown out thru the purge valve so dirt can also collect there and cause it to stick. The media can also get oil fouled reducing its effectiveness. They are easy to strip and clean and the media can be washed in a degreaser solution. I have done a few of them now and none required any orings and cleaned up nicely. I did have one broken stud i had to cut out and replace with a bolt… both Dave and I have youtube videos on stripping and cleaning them…

jedatide

You should probably pull it(the whole dryer) apart and clean it out. All the water and oily snot gets blown out thru the purge valve so dirt can also collect there and cause it to stick. The media can also get oil fouled reducing its effectiveness. They are easy to strip and clean and the media can be washed in a degreaser solution. I have done a few of them now and none required any orings and cleaned up nicely. I did have one broken stud i had to cut out and replace with a bolt… both Dave and I have youtube videos on stripping and cleaning them…
I appreciate the info. Can you provide me the YouTube links? Thanks, Jeff.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks