• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV M1083 no service brake release air leak

OptimusP

Love this site and willingness to invest and share from membership!
I bought a mint 1996 6x6. Had 11,000 miles on it. Previous owner sold it to me without disclosing a long-running air leak problem. It was an intermittent problem so an hour long test drive and 12hr tripdown the eastern seaboard did not reveal it. Eventually it surfaced and I realized work had been done to attempt to fix the problem (deleting the front emergency glad hand, new valves here and there…).

what I have done: new tractor and service brake valve in dash/ rebuilt Tractor Protection Valve/ replaced QRV behind bumper, cleaned 2-way check valve that sends air to glad hands, 2 new brake chambers…

the symptom: when dash Park brake valve is pushed in the line that should feed back into emergency gladhand blows off air ( they had a piece of air line coming off the fitting, see picture), I’d like to just reinstall the emergency glad hand but want to understand the problem before making changes and not exactly sure how it was originally all connected. Had the brakes lock up while on the road once. Had to use a pair of vice grips to pinch the air line that goes between the park 2-way check valve under drivers fender over to the check valve behind the bumper which unlocked the brakes to get home. Truck will build full air as long as service brake valve is pulled up. I have read every single post, watches every YouTube video…which has helped me tremendously but I’m missing something. I don’t understand the air brake system enough to figure it out. But aim learning, thanks to you guys. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

OptimusP

Thanks NDT for your help. Replaced one-way check valve. This did unlock the brakes, however, when the service brake valve in the cab is pressed down air blows thru and out the burp cap of the emergency gladhand. This is the same gladhand the previous owner removed ( no doubt attempting to troubleshoot this same problem I have). Before I do the obvious and replace the gladhand Im sure I am still missing something. My understanding is air should not be getting to the emergency gladhand. Thanks so much.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks