• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lmtv/mrap wheels with civilian tires?

broylz

Can anyone verify if a civilian tire can be effectively used on a 20" military wheel? I'm specifically looking at the 20" aluminum hutchison's and wanting to run a 37x12.50r20 or similar on my hmmwv...

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yes a 37x12.5 is good for a 8.5 to 11" wide wheel. You will have to make adapter plates I am sure you know. You will want to run the aluminum wheels for sure. Hard to find the caiman version aluminum wheel for the LMTV so you will have to shoot for the other types of wheels that folks run on a deuce that are hub pilot type. They are all 10 inch wide wheels though.

broylz

I've read on several other threads through various forums that the military tires have a thicker bead and that the civilian tires will not seat properly. Is this a real issue or can it be overcome with some sort of pvc bead locker cut to a wider width?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
pvc or just use a normal band type bead lock. You will need plenty of monkey snot to stick around the bead to get it to air up. Thats how we get the normal 20' tires to bead up on the metric wheels.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks