• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lmtv oil pan r&r

RRaulston

I changed my oil pump this weekend on a 3126B . Not much to add other than the top drivers side bolt of the oil cooler mount required 2 different 7/8 12 point wrenches to be able to make the bolt rotate in the tiny space available. A ratcheting wrench wouldn’t fit.

Also, I zip tied the tranny cooler lines to the frame rails and removed the exhaust down pipe to get great access to the pan from the back. Made installing the pan uneventful.

View attachment 896725
this job is on my radar. Was there a noticeable change in oil pressure??

Lostchain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
this job is on my radar. Was there a noticeable change in oil pressure??
I would say, across the board the pressures are better. My previous oil pump wasn’t terrible, but sometimes in the summer, I would occasionally get the low oil light on while idling. Last night on the test drive I got the oil to 200F and it still maintained 40 psi at idle, which it couldn’t do before. Driving is pretty much always at 60 now, (usually 40) before. Also, in the time it took to put 20gallons in the tank and look under the truck for leaks, the engine had cooled enough that the oil pressure almost hit 80 again for a bit after leaving the gas station. That NEVER happened before. Also I got my pump as a reman at CAT and the idler gear had a markedly bigger bushing. Clearly this was a reliability update as my existing oil pump had a much smaller bushing and was actually showing signs of wear (with only 9k on it)

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At the first signs of lower than normal oil pressure or especially if you get that oil pressure idiot light it's time to drop the pan and replace the pump. The job isn't that bad but it's enough labor and enough expense in oil, filter, and time that to simply inspect it would be a waste. You get a reman or new pump from CAT and you replace it. It's well worth the expense considering the possible implications if the pump should significantly fail.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks