• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV or?...

justin22885

In terms of getting WVO, I might actually grow it. I've done some calculations on the oil output of various plants growable in the climate I am looking at. And if I had a small 50 horse tractor to aid in plowing and harvesting I could probably completely sustain my fuel supply on oil grown myself. It has me wondering if I could grow enough of my own oil if I could also use it as a source of electricity as well burning it in a 5kw generator. If I go through with this project, fuel might be close to free. On top of that I do hope to live close enough to collect some of it from restaurants as well.

coachgeo

In terms of getting WVO, I might actually grow it. .....
Jatropha probably not. Algae..... also probably not in Wisconsin so what are you thinking? You do realize to do this you would need a full days labor as a farmer just to grow your fuel. That does not give.... food for family, pay taxes, keep roof from leaking etc.

If get the story right even Rudolf Diesel's proposed use of Rapeseed was that mainly the seed oil from unsaleable seeds would be used for fuel and while the good seeds would go to market for income production. He envisioned that would only be enough fuel from unsaleable seed's oil to run the tractor....

But.... have been wrong before..... go for it. Actually would love for it to work.

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In terms of getting WVO, I might actually grow it.
One step at a time. You started this topic about the pro's and con's of a couple truck models, now you've really jumped in the deep end of the pool. Regardless of which truck you pick, they are money pits and blackholes for wrenching time. You might consider just getting the truck, then taking several months to get it all fixed up, squared away, upgraded, etc., then revisit the next year of projects.

snowtrac nome

What is the LOW and HIGH engine model? Is the 225hp a low and 290hp a High...... or???

Guess one could check part # for a crank and see if same is used in both models?
The split happens at 200 hp anything above is hi hp any thing below is low hp. Which for this thread means the lmtv has room for performance increase but not so for the a3 duce.

justin22885

One step at a time. You started this topic about the pro's and con's of a couple truck models, now you've really jumped in the deep end of the pool. Regardless of which truck you pick, they are money pits and blackholes for wrenching time. You might consider just getting the truck, then taking several months to get it all fixed up, squared away, upgraded, etc., then revisit the next year of projects.
Alright. Then what are the going prices for the LMTV, 5-ton, and Deuce? If the LMTV is $10k more expensive than the deuce then with the money I'd save on the deuce I could put towards some of the upgrades I'd want and end up with a more tailored vehicle in the end than with the LMTV. One such modification would be manual lockers on the Rockwell axles not available for the LMTV. If they are similarly priced, then there are a lot of things I prefer about the LMTV like the cab, and the shorter dimensions of it.

Being that there are a lot of valid trade-offs between the two I have to look for anything that may give one the edge over the other.

Last edited:

snowtrac nome

There's a duce in Wasilla AK going for 2 grand right now, it looks to be in pretty good shape, if you were making the decision to move to AK than that one is a he!! of a deal as its already here. I scored my lmtv for 7 k once all the fees were paied.

justin22885

I am 4,000+ miles from there right now and haven't decided for sure where I will buy land yet, so I do not need a vehicle yet. I am currently looking at more upgrades and modifications people are doing with them, I would really like to find a solution to the brake issue and with the popularity of rockwell axles on large offroad vehicles I can't imagine something doesn't exist.

snowtrac nome

It could exist by adding a disc conversion, and a modern hydraulic assist dual circuit master cylinder like you see on a class 6 truck. Next of course is how deep are your pockets. Before long you are the same expense as a 5 ton or lmtv with air brakes

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To me, the cost of the truck itself was the least important. Yes, the difference between an M35 and an LMTV may be several grand, but when the operation and maintenance is roughly 10x that of a big pickup truck (e.g. $100+ oil changes, $300 tires, $150 tanks of gas, etc.), not a big deal. Then you start talking upgrades and it seems like every time you turn around you're dropping $400 on seats, or a new canvas, new version of the air drier, specialized tools, or whatever. Cooler upgrades (e.g. A/C, lockers, high speed gears, 290HP engine) are all several thousand dollar drops... pretty much as much as the truck is worth itself. That's what I mean about these being money pits... I previously had big offroad trucks (e.g. K5 Blazers, fullsize pickups, etc.) with big engines and tires, and these military trucks are a whole new level of "big boy toy" with the bill to go with it.

I'm not trying to talk you out of one, it's just that if you're worried about which truck is cheaper and then want to convert to different brakes and run on vegetable oil, it seems like you're misunderstanding something huge here. "If you have to ask how much it costs, you don't want to know" kind of thing. Each of those are probably several thousand dollars of messing around before it works. At which point, the cost of the truck itself is insignificant, you're just paying whatever money it takes to get what you want.

justin22885

Well, I am actually thinking I can do what I need to do with a much smaller vehicle than any of them. The M715 or a modified M37 might be plenty if I am able to use money saved to buy land with better access or close enough to a road that I can improve the path leading to it well enough to pull a trailer.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I am actually thinking I can do what I need to do with a much smaller vehicle than any of them. The M715 or a modified M37 might be plenty if I am able to use money saved to buy land with better access or close enough to a road that I can improve the path leading to it well enough to pull a trailer.
Do you need a military truck at all then? Those trucks are just very old pickups essentially, and a bit of collector's items at that. For $2500 you can get an a decent old civilian pickup, that parts and upgrades will be cheaper and readily available for.

An LMTV is still WAY more capable.

justin22885

Do you need a military truck at all then? Those trucks are just very old pickups essentially, and a bit of collector's items at that. For $2500 you can get an a decent old civilian pickup, that parts and upgrades will be cheaper and readily available for.

An LMTV is still WAY more capable.
No doubt it is more capable in many ways. But the question is whether or not a smaller option is capable enough. And I like military vehicles, It's just a preference but I find overall they are simpler, more basic renditions of civilian vehicles, a lot of the crap I don't like and don't need are generally left out.

coachgeo

No doubt it is more capable in many ways. But the question is whether or not a smaller option is capable enough. And I like military vehicles, It's just a preference but I find overall they are simpler, more basic renditions of civilian vehicles, a lot of the crap I don't like and don't need are generally left out.
The past MV's were. Past is the past. The FMTV family is not simpler. If anything it is more complicated by addition of an AWD system, CTIS and few other goodies to what is essentially a ruggedized commercial truck. Adding those items is what made it military other wise it would be no different than average civilian.

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, that's why I like them too. Although, the further back in time you go, the less true it becomes (the less difference there is between military and civilian). By the time you're back to the CUCV's of the '80s, they're practically the same thing.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The past MV's were. Past is the past. The FMTV family is not simpler.If anything.... more complicated by AWD system and CTIS added to what is essentially a ruggedized (Civilian like) commercial truck
Maybe, maybe not. If you compare to a similar 4x4 medium duty truck from the '90s, the LMTV does have CTIS, but it doesn't have emissions controls, air bags, etc. The LMTV is still probably simpler than a comparable civilian vehicle.

justin22885

Yeah, that's why I like them too. Although, the further back in time you go, the less true it becomes (the less difference there is between military and civilian). By the time you're back to the CUCV's of the '80s, they're practically the same thing.
Simpler body as well though with older ones. A lot of straight lines and basic curves when it comes to building the cab makes it a lot easier to do body work and repair damage when there are no complex curves or shapes to deal with. And flat windshields means you can basically cut a square out of flat automotive glass and use it. Also, round headlights without the ridiculous plastic lenses they have over them now do not oxidize and cloud over time and consistently have a bright, clearer headlight.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks