• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lmtv radio relay question

sargentwolf

Hey all. So I was mopping up the 3 inches of water on the passanger floor that leaked through the turret cover (major storms here in stl today, a bolt was loose....added silicone around the cover and torqued all bolts) when I took the electrical panel cover off to look for damage, I noticed that the relay for the radio was removed.

Going by common logic of "things removed/disabled by the motor pool need to be inspected before fixing", is there any reason for this relay to be pulled? Or was it pulled due to them removing the radios before selling it?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Usually if no radio installed the relay won't be there. If the radio was installed at some point and then disconnected there may be a power lead floating around somewhere under the floor mat. Best to leave the relay out either way unless you are wiring something to the circuit.

sargentwolf

Thats what I was hoping. The radio power cord is already routed behind the radio rack, just waiting on the VIC-4 to arrive and then installing it.

Thanks!

sargentwolf

Tried installing my VIC-4 into the truck the other day, no power at the cable end. I'll check again for a manual reset under the radio rack, but everything else seems normal. In a private message, another member said he had the same issue, no power at the 24v radio cable, so it's not just me that has the issue.

I doubt that the army would take extra time when DRMOing these trucks to unhook the cables from posts, just pull fuses and relays, gank the radios and their mounts, go onto next truck. Soldiers are lazy and contractors are worse, been both....

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Drop the passenger kick panel the wire comes up thru there. Does the relay engage when the truck is on? I think there is a separate breaker for it also. I have seen a larger breaker under the power relay panel.

sargentwolf

Finally had a cooler day here on the surface of the sun aka St Louis...

Pulled the plate below the fuse panel and found the 24v wire disconnected. Reconnected it, found a loose bracket as well. Hoping that bracket was the OBNOXIOUS metal on metal squeaking noise...

Anywho! Fired up the truck, still no power the cable however. I did not see a breaker or switch inside the panel, just the wires were disconnected, but Ill check in depth again tomorrow (and clean out the debris inside there). Ohm'd out the fuse, its good. I can hear and feel the relay clicking on and off when power is applied and removed.

Do I have to have the intercom installed to have power or is there another issue?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The ones I saw had a manual reset breaker on the floor underneath the relay panel. You would not see it by pulling the kick panel off you have to pull up the relay panel.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
There is non fused, unprotected power at the panel at all times with batts connected. You can pull it up live I do it all the time. There are Phillips head screws along the top and bottom of the metal frame it sits in which comes up with it. 12 and 24 volt comes up and connects under the corresponding posts at the left side of the panel. Don't let the spaghetti intimidate you there is a method to the madness although it may not seem like it.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
On the trucks I have seen, yes. Do you have the full height rack behind the passenger seat. That would be the digitizer and the install for that has the breaker that goes under the relay panel. It's a stupid spot for it you can't reset it unless you pull up the relay panel. It's safe to lift the panel live as long as you are careful. Or you can completely disconnect the batteries. Dual voltage system no one lead will do it.

sargentwolf

floor to ceiling one no. I have the shelf behind the pass seat thats lower then the seat is tall. I will check tomorrow.

But regardless, there SHOULD be power at the cable without the intercom installed, correct?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Depends on what cable. There can be several different ones. I have had a lot of trucks that has radios removed before drmo but none with working radios. With the radio relay engaged in theory the main radio power cable should have power I don't see how the intercom would affect it. I would follow it from the relay with a multimeter and see what's going on.

sargentwolf

Its just a standard radio power cable. Now, I dont have the radio power plate installed, just trying to plug the power directly into the intercom.

And I did put the meter on the plug and not a single one had power. Going to go back tomorrow with the intercom, temp install it, and see what happens. Betting on magic smoke with my luck!

sargentwolf

So pulled the panel today. No breaker. Didnt have time today to really mess with the power much more as I had to go to work. Thinking of just taking out the entire stupid existing cable and replacing it with the one that came with my intercom.

I did however fix the annoying squeak so yay, one less squeak!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks