• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV-->Rally Truck clone/poser/wannabe build thread

coachgeo

if anyone wants a ROP will "consider" parting with mine that replaces the lifting eyes behind the cab, and should be enough structure to take much weight off the cab in a rollover; I will have such a beasty heavy arse thing available in a few months or so. Few minor mods will make it better than it is now. Will take out your spare tire. Think you could fit your air cleaner though. See my avatar. What you can't see is that there is 1/4? plate wall spanning the whole cab side of the ROP.

ROP = Roll Over Protection

say "consider" cause the metal might be used in other parts of the project.

Last edited:

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reinforcing the cab may not do much, as it's liable to just get ripped off in a hard collision, there also isn't any substantial structure to mount a roll bar to which can hold up to the weight of the truck. The best place on the LMTV to put a roll bar is on the forward lifting eyes behind the cab, a single hoop should be enough structure to support the truck in a rollover.
Yes the design is intended to be effective to some degree in the case of total separation of the cab from the truck. A capsule, sort of. The thinking is

1. May not need to go as large as 2.0 x 0.250 wall tubing, since its not the case that the entire weight of the truck will be on the cab.

2. The cab tilt pivot points is where the strength is currently, will key off those.

3. To make sure that the rear top corners are welded completely, likely will have to weld up that section outside then come through the windshield opening to install.

Instructions to the fabricator are to do $5000 of work, then stop so we can reassess. Since my medical deductible is $4000, and I'd rather have a cage than invoke the insurance, I'm OK with those numbers.

Last edited:

coachgeo

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are your plans for suspension? I am building a truck I can beat on.
I do not post much, not my thing but here is were I was a year ago https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/expedition-vehicles/2635225-lmtv-m1078-79-camper-build-2.html
Plan is to stick with the long leaf spring setup for now, there is soooo much to do elsewhere on the truck and the leafs work OK for now. I'm thinking the battery box & air tanks are gonna have to be relocated between the frame rails outta the way....the rocks might grab 'em in the stock location.
railX_1_small.jpg

I also plan to go 53's as you did. Moving the rear mud flaps and modifying front steps is easy. Am looking at wheels with different offset for a wider stance/ tight turn clearance.

I'm really concerned about protecting the CTIS plumbing at the wheels. May have to go with custom rock rings as the folks who have the stock issue rings aren't letting go of them ;)

Maybe will rob some ideas from the Euro Truck Trials: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWUCkzHtHDM

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks