• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Self Recovery Winches

ramdough

THANK YOU! Just knowing that it can be done is a good feeling. I will watch the video and see what I can learn. I found The Adventures Of Abel recommended by somebody on these forums. In that series, #108 (on FaceBook) shows the parts listing on rebuilding the cab and tire jack. I noticed mine "smoking" (blowing oil) today when I tilted the cab.

I will happily share what I learn. The mechanical part will be easy.

What I am really hoping is that when I unbolt the switch cover there will be connectors there already. Makes sense they would only have one wiring harness.
Hey, I can dream until I open it up and find out otherwise - Right?
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the winch/accessory harness did not come in my truck. I had to steal it from the donor truck.

With that said, if you plan to divorce it from your transmission, it may not matter as much.

My harness is from an A0, so I already have to do some magic to make it work. I plan to only hook up what I want and hope I don’t destroy anything. I will probably start a thread and get advice from the experts here when I am ready. Or, maybe by then you will be the expert for me to bug for ideas.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the winch/accessory harness did not come in my truck. I had to steal it from the donor truck.

With that said, if you plan to divorce it from your transmission, it may not matter as much.

My harness is from an A0, so I already have to do some magic to make it work. I plan to only hook up what I want and hope I don’t destroy anything. I will probably start a thread and get advice from the experts here when I am ready. Or, maybe by then you will be the expert for me to bug for ideas.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes Sir. Sad to report that there are no wires other than for the two switches that were already installed... I feel sure there was an Engineering Change (EC to save cost) that caused it to be that way. :-(

Last night I saw a YouTube video where a hydraulic pump was mounted on the driver's side and powered by two belts. Plan was for it to run a hydraulic air conditioning compressor. There weren't a lot of details on what volume the pump would make. It was almost like talking to Microsoft Support. Technically what they tell you is right and good - but is it really useful and does it solve the problem?

Oski1042

Had to laugh when I opened up this thread this morning to find that I had started it 5 years ago! Five years later I ended up buying a new (old) truck (M1083) that fortunately came with a winch. The interesting realization I have come to, as I rip into things is how much space the whole thing takes up. Between the tank and winch, prime real estate is lost. I have actually had to think about taking it off so I have room for an auxilary fuel tank. For now I am going to keep it and hope I can make it worth it's space usage (before running out of fuel!)

That said, I am trying to figure out the right plumbing to use the hydraulic pump to power a lift on the back of the truck. I don't know anything about hydraulic system design .... so it will be another LMTV/FMTV learning experience!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Had to laugh when I opened up this thread this morning to find that I had started it 5 years ago! Five years later I ended up buying a new (old) truck (M1083) that fortunately came with a winch. The interesting realization I have come to, as I rip into things is how much space the whole thing takes up. Between the tank and winch, prime real estate is lost. I have actually had to think about taking it off so I have room for an auxilary fuel tank. For now I am going to keep it and hope I can make it worth it's space usage (before running out of fuel!)

That said, I am trying to figure out the right plumbing to use the hydraulic pump to power a lift on the back of the truck. I don't know anything about hydraulic system design .... so it will be another LMTV/FMTV learning experience!
My only real concern is the size of the factory storage tank for hydraulic fluid. It is plenty large enough for a winch with room leftover to feed a lift gate. But, It is pretty small. I guess small is a relative term too when you want to hang more fuel tanks. Under continuous use like on a crane - the tank is a small heat sink to "fade the heat" on the hydraulic system. Using a lift gate or pulling a hundred feet of winch cable won't overheat that oil though. Continuous duty on the other hand maybe not as good. Just like everything else on these trucks - heat kills.

I would think that a manually operated diverter valve could work with minimal plumbing. In short, it would turn off fluid flow to the winch and send it to the valve body that drives the lift gate. If that back valve isn't being pushed or pulled to raise or lower - the fluid just cycles back to the tank. I put a picture of a diverter below. Like that or something similar. Valves like this are also used to power outriggers on some machines. Manufacturers sometimes use a $75 diverter and a single valve - valve body to operate two outrigger cylinders independently of each other.

l-bore-g-3-4-inch-3-way-hydraulic-steel-ball-valve.jpg

Believe me, I was absolutely THRILLED when I found your post with that title! It was exactly what I am trying to do :cool:

Ronmar

I don’t know that I would go to the trouble to fit the PTO hydraulics unless I needed high volume hydraulics For a crane or backhoe... Maybe if all the parts were free:)

I would put self recovery winching and a lift gate ops into the intermittent category. I am pretty sure I could fit a 24v winch(with greater pulling capacity) and a 24v HPU for a lift gate, at a whole lot less cost and labor than putting in an entire PTO hydraulic system and winch...

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My only real concern is the size of the factory storage tank for hydraulic fluid. It is plenty large enough for a winch with room leftover to feed a lift gate. But, It is pretty small. I guess small is a relative term too when you want to hang more fuel tanks. Under continuous use like on a crane - the tank is a small heat sink to "fade the heat" on the hydraulic system. Using a lift gate or pulling a hundred feet of winch cable won't overheat that oil though. Continuous duty on the other hand maybe not as good. Just like everything else on these trucks - heat kills.

I would think that a manually operated diverter valve could work with minimal plumbing. In short, it would turn off fluid flow to the winch and send it to the valve body that drives the lift gate. If that back valve isn't being pushed or pulled to raise or lower - the fluid just cycles back to the tank. I put a picture of a diverter below. Like that or something similar. Valves like this are also used to power outriggers on some machines. Manufacturers sometimes use a $75 diverter and a single valve - valve body to operate two outrigger cylinders independently of each other.

View attachment 820725

Believe me, I was absolutely THRILLED when I found your post with that title! It was exactly what I am trying to do :cool:
My 1084 has the same size hydraulic tank fir the crane and I’ve had no heat issues at all.

coachgeo

Ive considered relocating the winch behind rear axle (on 2'-ish extended chassis). Since my box is an ambulance and will sit down and wrap over chassis; thus considering put it on driver side rail INTERIOR of the chassis. Would have to add two more massive pulleys to run the cable out the back thru bumper thru first massive pulley... loop around thru snatch back and cable re-enter where OEM Winch cable normally exits the back; on the second massive pulley. From there to front would be the same. But I would set it up as a Fores winch; so it remains anchored in front if winching from the back. No more pulling cable for or aft before use.

for yourself and others you could just back the winch up if you extend the chassis enough to mount it and brace it properly for you likely wont have storage cabinet hanging down in the way like I will.

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My 1084 has the same size hydraulic tank fir the crane and I’ve had no heat issues at all.
Agreed, but a 1084 spends about the same amount of time loading a few pallets into a truck as it would take to recover a few hundred feet of winch cable. I wasn't as specific I might should have been when I mentioned "crane". It isn't like it runs for hours generating heat...

I haven't made any attempt at figuring out tank volume. The tank on the frame that I have is about 10 or 12 inches wide, maybe 24" deep and 24" tall. Just guessing. Maybe 20 gallons if the hoses were empty too? I have seen pictures of a few tanks that appear to be twice that wide maybe...

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My only real concern is the size of the factory storage tank for hydraulic fluid. It is plenty large enough for a winch with room leftover to feed a lift gate. But, It is pretty small. ... Under continuous use like on a crane - the tank is a small heat sink to "fade the heat" on the hydraulic system. Using a lift gate or pulling a hundred feet of winch cable won't overheat that oil though. Continuous duty on the other hand maybe not as good. Just like everything else on these trucks - heat kills.
The winch tank is oversized (and overkill, like everything else on these trucks). For comparison, HMMWV's just use the power steering pump fluid, without issues. In wondering why it is oversized, my best guess is that it's because that much fluid weighs almost the same amount as the winch does.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
All the fluid capacities are listed in my parts spreadsheet, here in my signature.
I wasn't smart enough to see that... I used the sheet about a month ago to get the right filters. Had planned to say thank you and it slipped my mind. I guaged oil capacity by what was in my drain pans - and checked the stick. Started it, checked the stick again. Might have been easier had I noticed fluid capacity in the parts spreadsheet.

Definitely USEFUL information in there. Thanks for keeping it up for the rest of us to use!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks